Deadline: 30 November 2018
Applicants are invited to apply for the India Fellow Program 2019 with an objective to create a learning platform for young Indians who undergo a 13-month long journey of discovering their own leadership potential. It includes training, mentor-ship, reflections and hands-on work experience with a grassroots organization working on social issues.
- They hope to give young people interested in exploring the development space a chance to do so, so that while applicants work in a space different from the life they have been leading uptill now, they discover who they are and what is their purpose even while contributing to their project in the NGO.
- They hope to create, in the end, socially conscious leaders who empathize and understand the diversity of challenges in the development space and in doing so attempt to create holistic solutions.
The India Fellow program design has 3 prime pieces that fit into each other over the duration of 13 months.
- Training, Peer Learning & Workshops: The fellowship has approximately 7 weeks spread over the duration of overall 13 months where the fellows meet at a common point for training. This is into 3 parts namely:-
- induction training (18 days) at the start
- mid point training (12 days) at the end of 5 months
- travel workshop (10 days) and end point training (4 days) at the end
- Work Assignment with Host Organization: The volume wise biggest chunk of the fellow life will be spent with a reputed, authentic and committed grassroots organization. These are spread across the country and delve into diverse thematic areas. During this, the fellow will be living in their work areas, both rural or urban setups, and working closely with the organization’s team to understand the social framework and development approach. The immersion with the organization inculcates sensitivity, deeper understanding and consciousness and is a powerful experience for the fellow to look inwards as well as issues India faces at large. The fellow not only learns but also contributes to the organization by bringing their skills and enthusiasm on board.
- The organization supports the fellow with a monthly stipend of Rs. 15,000 for living expenses like accommodation, food and travel.
- Mentor-ship & The Network Support: Every fellow from the third month onward is exposed to a pool of mentors, both from the organization as well as the fellowship. A mentor is an expert with huge experience in their domain and will be a philosopher and guide to the fellow in his/her journey. Their role will be more geared to the fellow’s development than the fellowship or work assignments. Along with that, the fellowship ecosystem that consists of trainers, alumni, personnel from various host organizations and the program team are constantly available and interacting with the fellows to enrich the experience as friends and coaches.
- All costs and arrangements during the training (accommodation, food, resource persons, material costs etc.) is borne by the fellowship.
- For the duration when the fellow works with the host organization, the organizations pay them a stipend which is basically to cover the living expenses of the fellow. To keep parity, this amount is as follows:-
- For rural areas if organization provides for accommodation (some organizations have their field offices and/or guest house where applicants can stay) the stipend is INR 12,000 per month.
- For rural areas if organization does not provide for accommodation then the stipend is INR 15,000 per month.
- For metropolitan areas of Mumbai and Delhi, the stipend is INR 15,000 and 18,000 respectively for with and without accommodation.
To be eligible, applicants must ensure they:
- are between 21 to 28 years of age
- are already a graduate (in any discipline) or will be by Feb 2019 before fellowship begins
- are an Indian citizen
- are ready for a 13 month full time commitment to the fellowship
- understand that this is not just a job and will expect they to be engaged 24X7 in the process with the community
- understand that India Fellow program means they can be placed in any part of the country and in any thematic area
How to Apply
Applicants must fill an online application form via given website.
Eligible Country: India
For more information, please visit India Fellow Program.