Deadline: 16 September 2019
Through this call for proposals, IFAD will contribute to promote an inclusive territorial development approach to generate sustainable economic and social growth, support job creation for women and youth, improved nutrition, and climate-resilient agricultural technologies in the West and Central Africa region, and in particular in countries in the Sahel.
Regional integration and cross-border trade linkages across the Sahel are instrumental in having functional and integrated value chains in the region. It is estimated that the Sahel region roughly meets 2/3 of its needs in food through local production. Food loss is high due to lack of processing and difficulties to match production supply with market demands. In addition, rural and market infrastructures are poor, and public policies, the business environment and investments are not supporting the private sector (from producers to transportation to traders until final consumers).
The overall goal is to develop at regional level a sustainable model of operational and policy stakeholders’ platforms supporting the development at regional level of a family farming model that optimizes economic and social opportunities of cross-border regional trade. The two expected outcomes are the following:
- At operational/ground level (i.e. economic clusters/markets/trade corridors), a better knowledge and evidence-based understanding of the role of a sustainable and climate resilient family farming model able to diversify regional agricultural production while addressing better integration of markets and consumers’ needs;
- At policy and institutional level (i.e. UEMOA, AU, bilateral Commissions, etc.), a more efficient coordination, concertation and harmonisation of relevant institutions/organizations concerned by the development and management of agricultural markets and cross-border trade corridors generating and implementing more adequate sectoral strategies and policies reforms.
The Grant will also contribute thanks to its direct linkages to the on-going and future IFAD’s large investment programs in the region to the following outcomes:
- Better value added (transformation/processing/trading) given to products by improving marketing and logistic of existing semi-wholesale markets and of regional cross-border trade corridors;
- Increase in volume and efficiency of traded products with reductions in transaction costs;
- Jobs and wealth creation for women and young people along the enhanced value chain (individual and SMEs, employment opportunities, increased income revenues, access to “business” services i.e. education, internet and mobile connectivity, finance services).
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
This is a Call for Proposals to identify the recipient of a three-year grant financed by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) for a total amount of up to US$ 3.5 Million.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
The institution selected should have the following professional and geographical experiences and knowledge:
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
- Development and management of analytical researches and investments on family agriculture, food and nutrition security, regional integration and cross-border cooperation, agricultural regional markets and value chains with a specific geographical experience in Western and Central Africa region (and more precisely in Sahelian countries/region);
- Experience on regional/sub-regional, cross-border trade corridors management and value chain issues, data analysis and collection, design and formulation of related policies and strategies;
- Partnerships and working experiences with pan African and regional economic institutions, i.e. African Union, NEPAD, and other important and relevant initiatives in West Africa and Sahel;
- Working knowledge of English and French and capacity to produce bilingual documentation and KM capacities to support adequate communication tools production and broad communication activities;
- Ability to co-finance the initiative.
WCA region-based institutions or consortium of institutions/organizations with West Africa regional entities will be privileged.
How to Apply
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.
Eligible organizations are invited to submit proposals and confirm their participation at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit https://www.ifad.org/pt/web/latest/news-detail/asset/41251685