Deadline: 9 October 2019
The National Geographic Society has announced a call for the applicants from all around the world to support priorities of IUCN SSC Species Conservation Plans as well as conservation actions that are endorsed by the relevant IUCN SSC Species Specialist Group.
In partnership with the IUCN SSC and Fondation Segré, the goal of this request for funding is to halt further biodiversity decline by implementing conservation plans for species and groups of species.
The mandate of the IUCN Species Survival Commission (SSC) is to “stimulate, promote and support conservation actions for halting biodiversity decline, preventing species’ extinctions, and restoring and conserving intact habitats and ecosystems, both on the ground and in the water”.
Preference will be given to proposals that include feasible plans to demonstrate change in key, quantifiable indicators of: for example, reduction in drivers of population decline (e.g. unsustainable hunting, fishing or logging); or increase in numbers, degree of protection, or connectivity of populations of the target species or group of species.
Proposals that focus on the following themes are encouraged:
- Projects that include the active involvement of early career conservationists;
- Projects that support conservation leaders from the countries where the species or group of species occur;
- Specific and defensible priority actions to avert decline of a species or group of species.
- Typical proposal requests should be less than $30,000; however, applicants may request up to $50,000.
- Successful applicants may use awarded funds over one or two years.
They require that all applications include a letter of endorsement signed by Chair, Regional or Thematic Leader of the relevant IUCN SSC Species Specialist Group. This endorsement letter should indicate that the proposal either:
- Explicitly address priorities defined in a published IUCN SSC action plan, which applicants can find in the website;
- Please note that applications without a completed and signed endorsement letter will not be considered;
- Addresses a conservation action identified as a priority even though no plan for the particular species or group of species has yet been published.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://www.nationalgeographic.org/funding-opportunities/grants/what-we-fund/species-recovery/