Deadline: 3 November 2019
Running for nearly a decade, Connections through Culture is a long-term programme to develop exciting cultural collaborations between artists and arts organisations, supporting long-lasting relationships between China and the UK.
The programme offers support, information, advice, networking opportunities and development grants to artists and arts organisations in China and the UK.
Connections through Culture was established to provide small grants to assist:
- UK arts organisations or individual artists embarking on projects with Chinese arts partners;
- Chinese arts organisations or individual artists embarking on projects with UK arts partners.
Funding is provided in order to further face-to-face discussions needed to develop projects beyond initial expressions of interest.
- Grant value is sized up to £2,500;
- The grant will enable either an individual or one member of staff from arts organisation to visit counterparts in China or the UK for one or more of the following reasons:
- Face-to-face project development with an arts organisation(s), e.g. contractual negotiations;
- Seeing and evaluating the work of partner arts organisation(s);
- Developing staff skills needed to realise a project through shadowing counterparts in partner arts organisation(s).
Priority will be given to:
- New partnerships;
- Artists or arts organisations that have not previously received a development grant;
- New projects which have not previously benefited from a development grant;
- Arts organisations or artists who have taken part in a recent Connections through Culture study tour or networking event in China.
Note: Successful applicants will be required to share feedback on their visit.
- Any individual artist or non-profit arts organisation which is in the process of developing an arts project with a counterpart arts organisation which may result in an exhibition, performance or public event;
- They expect discussions with the partner to have moved beyond preliminary expressions of interest and the initial research stage.
Applications for development grants will be evaluated by the Connections through Culture committee, drawing on input from their Chinese or UK partner arts organisation(s) where appropriate. Criteria for assessment:
- Evidence of a resulting exhibition, performance or public event;
- Evidence of developed project discussions;
- Evidence of sound partner;
- Long-term sustainability of relationship;
- Usefulness of the grant to further development of project;
- Feasibility of final project including likely long-term impact on the organisations involved.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply online via give website.
For more information, please visit https://www.britishcouncil.cn/en/programmes/arts/connections-culture