Deadline: 31 May 2017
The African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) is seeking applications for its Moses Mapesa Research Grant to support African Doctoral and Masters Students in the field of heritage.
The AWHF was launched in 2006 to support African States Parties in implementing the UNESCO 1972 Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage.
The African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) is an inter-governmental organisation that was launched in 2006 with the mission to support the effective conservation and protection of natural and cultural heritage of outstanding universal value in Africa. Together with the African Members States of UNESCO and the African Union, the main aim is to develop a strategy to deal with the challenges that many African countries meet in implementing the 1972 World Heritage Convention.
- Grant amounts will vary depending on research proposals, with a maximum award of USD 4,000.00.
- The field work research needs to be conducted in no longer than 9 months during 2018.
The award will support research projects focused on the following topics related to a World Heritage site or a tentative listed site in Africa:
- Traditional Management Systems
- Risk management and preparedness
- Conservation, protection and management in pre-conflict, conflict and post-conflict situations
- Climate change
- Heritage and the economy
- Sustainable heritage management and conservation
The call is open to students who are:
- currently or will be registered in 2018 in a Ph.D. or Masters programme (Masters 2 for Francophone countries) at an African university and conducting dissertation research in the
- field of either natural or cultural heritage;
- fluent in English, French or Portuguese;
- citizens of an African country.
How to Apply
The complete application package should be sent via electronic emails at the address given on the website.
Eligible Countries: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d’Ivorie, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
For more information, please visit Call for Applications.