The Culture Night Late award is offered in partnership with the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media under the Night Time Economy Taskforce to offer audiences a greater diversity in their Culture Night experience late into the night, and to encourage more-inclusive and innovative late-night arts events suitable for a range of audience types into the future.
Culture Night Late is designed to support events that will begin after 9pm and continue late into the night on Culture Night, Friday 22 September 2023
Objectives and Priorities
The award will support:
- (Strand 1) local-authority-identified-and-led late-night flagship events with an audience capacity of over 500 people in partnership with one or more arts centres/arts organisations/arts festivals and/or curators, or
- (Strand 1) arts centre/arts organisation/arts festival-led late-night flagship events with an audience capacity of over 500 people in partnership with the respective local authority, or
- (Strand 2) arts centres that wish to apply for additional funding to support a latenight opening on Culture Night.
The Arts Council has identified the following as strategic priorities for support through this award:
- Public space: the importance of accessible shared places and spaces and how these are or can be used for the engagement of the public through the arts – e.g. outdoor spaces (parks, streets, town squares) and public buildings/spaces not ordinarily used for the arts with due consideration for permissions and noise curfews as they apply locally.
- Artistic excellence: high-quality, ambitious and collaborative approach for excellent arts activities in any or multiple artforms or practices.
- Partnership: i.e. identifying relevant arts and public partners that can support the delivery of a Culture Night Late event.
- Public engagement and inclusion: i.e have core considerations around access, equality, diversity and inclusion as per the Arts Council’s Equality, Human Rights and Diversity policy and which address the challenges outlined in pages 12–13 of the Report of the Night-Time Economy Taskforce.
- Supporting artists: ensuring best practice in payment of artists as per Paying the Artist policy and ensuring due consideration is given to working with artists with disabilities.
- Financial support: the level of cash and/or in-kind investment by the supporting partner(s). This must be a minimum of 25% of the event’s total costs.
- Open and free to the public: events must be free to the public, with ticketing or prebooking arrangements in place as appropriate.
- Commencing at 9.00pm or later and continuing late into the night with due consideration for licensed opening hours, permissions, noise curfews, etc. as they apply locally.
This award has two strands:
- Strand 1 – Culture Night Late – large event The maximum you can apply for is €16,500
- Strand 2 – Culture Night Late – late opening The maximum you can apply for is €750
- The award is open to local authorities (including Ealaín na Gaeltachta), arts festivals, arts centres, production companies and arts organisations only to create a Culture Night Late event in a public space or place.
- Lead applicants must be either:
- A local authority in partnership with one or more arts centre/arts organisations/arts festival/producer/curator, or
- An arts centre/arts organisation/arts festival/producer in partnership with a local-authority arts service and other arts partners/artists.
- In partnerships where more than one applicant qualifies to be lead applicant, the identification of the lead applicant is at the discretion of the partners.
- All applications must involve a local-authority Arts Office, which are the local coordinators of Culture Night. Other potential partners include arts centres, arts organisations, arts festivals, artists, non-arts groups/organisations/agencies.
- Non-arts organisations could be considered partners in a project on condition that the project involves two or more arts partners.
- The applicant is the organisation that will receive any grant offered and which will be required to accept the terms and conditions of the grant.
- The grant will be paid only into a bank account held in the name of the lead applicant.
- All documentation provided must be in the name of the lead applicant.
For more information, visit Culture Night Late.