Deadline: 9 February 2020
Nominations are now open for the 2020 UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award to honour individuals, groups and organizations who go above and beyond the call of duty to protect refugees, displaced and stateless people.
The winner receives USD 150,000 to invest in their humanitarian work. Four regional winners are also selected and honoured with a certificate.
- Any individual, group of people or organization that has displayed extraordinary humanitarian work on behalf of refugees, displaced or stateless peoples is eligible to be nominated.
- Former and current UNHCR staff, including United Nations Volunteers (UNVs) working for UNHCR offices, are ineligible.
- Self-nominations are strongly discouraged. This includes individuals and organizations nominating themselves.
- Current or former UNHCR employees are ineligible.
- Candidates may be individuals, groups or organizations. Every Nansen Refugee Award winner and finalists spend an extraordinary amount of time and effort to help the forcibly displaced:
- The nominee’s work goes beyond the call of duty and outside of normal activities;
- The nominee’s work demonstrates courage – they might at times face personal risk for his/her/their work;
- The nominee’s work has a direct positive impact on the lives of forcibly displaced or stateless people;
- The work is connected to a major displacement issue or situation.
Who selects the winner?
The Nansen Refugee Award Selection Committee comprises:
- A member designated by the Norwegian Government;
- A member designated by the Swiss Government;
- The Secretary General of the Council of Europe;
- Executive Director of the International Council of Voluntary Agencies;
- The Chairperson of Executive Committee; and
- A guest member.
Nominees are considered in the following light:
- The deed for which the person/ entity is nominated should take place outside the framework of normal professional duties and go beyond the call of duty;
- It should demonstrate courage;
- It should raise awareness for displaced people; and
- It should reflect the values of UNHCR.
For more information, visit https://www.unhcr.org/nominate.html