Deadline: 5 July 2019
The inaugural APEC Healthy Women, Healthy Economies Research Prize is now accepting nominations for outstanding research work that strives to improve women’s health, economic well-being, and chart more inclusive growth.
The prize aims to spotlight and spur the creation of sex-disaggregated data and gender based research that will help decision-makers make more evidence-based policies to improve the lives of women and strengthen the regional economy.
Officials in Chile, host economy of APEC 2019, raised women’s economic empowerment as a top APEC priority this year. They are launching this year’s prize with the support of Merck, a leading science and technology company.
The APEC Healthy Women, Healthy Economies Research Prize offers business leaders the opportunity to explore and identify their own path to incorporate these recommendations from leading researchers, which will foster women development and will benefit the whole organization.
Since its inception in 2014, the APEC Healthy Women, Healthy Economies initiative has improved women’s health through public-private partnerships. One key outcome has been the cross-sector collaboration in creating The Healthy Women, Healthy Economies Policy Toolkit – a compendium of the issues, actions, and implementing elements for improving women’s health across five areas.
The areas are:
- workplace health and safety;
- health awareness and access;
- sexual and reproductive health;
- gender-based violence; and
- work/life Balance.
- The winner of the prize will win USD $20,000, while the 2 runners-up will win USD $5,000 each. If the winner or runner up is from government then the prize money will be given instead to Healthy Women (a women’s health not-for-profit). Alternatively, the winner or runners-up may designate a not-for-profit entity to receive the prize money*
- The top three finalists will have the opportunity to present their research to members of the APEC Women and the Economy Forum in La Serena, Chile.
- The prize winner will be announced at the annual Women Leaders’ APEC Roundtable during the 2019 APEC CEO Summit in Santiago, Chile in November 2019.
*Not-for-profit entities must be unaffiliated with governments or government agencies to be eligible.
- Applicants may be individuals or teams (with one leader listed) who are from an APEC economy, and do not require a background in academia.
- The research must be evidence-based and addresses at least one of the pillars outlined in the toolkit.
- APEC member economies include: Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong, China, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, United States, VietNam.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit https://www.apec.org/Press/News-Releases/2019/0507_prize