Deadline: 31 July 2016
Applications are open for The Short Story Day Africa Prize which is an African writing prize open to African citizens, permanent residents of African countries, or second generation Africans living in the diaspora only.
- 1st prize R10 000 (approx US$500)
- 2nd prize R2 000 (approx US$125)
- 3rd prize R1 000 (approx US$60)
- Three emerging writers will receive a 20 week online creative writing course. These will be selected from the long list or slush pile.
- The twenty-one long listed stories will be published in the annual Short Story Day Africa anthology, and selected stories entered into The Caine Prize for African Writing (£10 000).
- Any African citizen or African person living in the Diaspora, as well as persons residing permanently (granted permanent residence or similar) in any African country, may enter.
- Writers may only submit one story for the competition. Repeat entries by the same writer will be disqualified.
- Writers are welcome to submit stories in any fiction genre.
- Stories must be between 3000 and 5000 words in length.
- Stories must be submitted in English.
- Stories must be submitted online via submit table between 1 June 2016 – 3 1 July 2016.
- Stories must not have been previously published in any form or any format.
- Simultaneous submissions are not welcome. Any story entered or published elsewhere during the course of judging or publication will be disqualified.
- Applicants are welcome to enter under a pseudonym or nom de plume, as long as applicant also includes their real name along with their entry.
- All entries will be judged anonymously.
- The judges’ decision is final.
- By submitting a story the author attests that it is their own original work and grants exclusive global print and digital rights to Short Story Day Africa for one year, and thereafter agrees to seek permission to republish and when published elsewhere attributes first publication to Short Story Day Africa; non-exclusive digital rights to World reader to publish individual stories on World reader Mobile; and non-exclusive digital rights to Books Live for publicity purposes.
Note: Citizens of African countries or former citizens who have given up citizenship for whatever reason, and second generation Africans whose parents are/were African citizens.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d’Ivorie, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
For more information, please visit Short Story Day Africa Prize.