Deadline: 1 October 2018
Nominations are open for 2019 Thomas J. Dodd Prize which is awarded biennially by the University of Connecticut and is presented to an individual or group who has had significant impact advancing the cause of international justice and global human rights.
The prize commemorates the distinguished career in public service of Sen. Thomas J. Dodd who, as Executive Trial Counsel to the International Military Tribunal at Nuremberg and a Connecticut Senator from 1959 to 1971, fought against the violation of human rights in the United States and around the world.
- Individuals and groups may be nominated for the prize by members of the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center Advisory Board, by previous winners of the Dodd Prize and other prominent human rights organizations and practitioners, and members of the public.
- Self-nominations are acceptable.
- Nomination letters shall include the following:
- Nominator information including, name, permanent address, telephone number, email, and relationship to the nominee.
- General nominee information including, name, permanent address, telephone number, and email, and website.
- Background information on the nominee and their efforts to support the human rights movement nationally or internationally and, in particular, their specific human rights interest.
- Description of how the human rights work of nominee aligns with the strengths of the University of Connecticut’s human rights programs.
- Letters of Nomination and Finalist Dossiers are reviewed by a Selection Committee, composed of three members of the National Advisory Board and UConn faculty. Finalists and Prize winners are selected based on a range of criteria, including:
- Reputation of the nominee within the human rights community;
- Nominee’s past and potential future impact on the realization of human rights and/or international justice;
- Potential for the Dodd Prize to enhance the impact of the nominee’s work; and
- Alignment between nominee’s work and the strengths of the University’s human rights program.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via online via given website.
Fr more information, please visit 2019 Thomas J. Dodd Prize.