Deadline: 31 August 2017
Nominations are open for “Ellen Stewart International Award” that is presented to an individual artist or group of artists who work together or a theatre organization that demonstrates success in promoting social change and youth engagement through their theatre practice.
- Two weeks residency at the world-famous artist residence: La MaMa Umbria International in Spoleto, Italy. La MaMa Umbria provides accommodation, meals and support for the development of a new or continuing project:
- The new project/performance will have its premiere at the famous Spoleto Festival of 2 Worlds.
- Cash award in support to the project.
- Presentation of the Award at a highly visible ceremony before an international audience with extensive press coverage.
- Invitation to participate in International Theatre Institute’s World Congress.
- Must be engaged in a practice that uses performance as a means for social change, particularly with youth.
- The artist(s) who wins this honor uses theatre as a mechanism for inspiring young people to understand others so they can make a positive contribution to their community.
- The winner must have a demonstrated commitment to engaging communities through live performance toward improving conditions in the society.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience in engaging communities through theatrical performance, training and/or teaching.
- Must be an individual or company who would commit to a Residency at La MaMa Umbria International during the summer 2018.
- Must have the support of three prominent members of the world theatre/performance community, whose letters are included in the Proposal.
- Must be able to demonstrate how winning the Award will help the artist or company continue its work toward socially engaged performance, as exemplified by the art and work of Ellen Stewart.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications via email at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit Ellen Stewart International Award.