Deadline: 7 December 2016
Are you an innovator with ideas to improve health outcomes through the food system, then this one is for you!
The Launch Food Challenge is open for applications and invites innovators, entrepreneurs, or intrapreneurs with big ideas for improving health outcomes by enabling people to make healthy food choices.
In partnership with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the U.S. Agency for International Development, and a broad cross-sector network of key opinion leaders and industry players, LAUNCH is taking a people-centred approach to action across the whole of the food system. This call for innovations was developed through consultation with industry, government, and civil society from the Pacific Islands, Australia, the United States, Europe, and beyond.
LAUNCH Food seeks to support and scale innovations that will improve health outcomes by enabling people to make healthy food choices.
To be considered for the LAUNCH Food challenge, applicant’s submission must address one or more of the bullets below.
- Producing Food
- Supply chain infrastructure and practices across the value chain (harvesting, storage, processing/ drying/ manufacturing, transport, marketing), including food wastage
- Food and food technology
- Production processes and efficiency
- Models of economic incentivisation
- Financial products or services that drive how and where food is produced
- Nutrition-sensitive and climate smart agriculture, including horticulture, aquaculture, and livestock
- Harnessing data to understand the supply of and demand for nutritious food
- Growing more (and a more diverse range of) nutritious food
- Decoupling price and quality so that nutritious food is not always the most expensive option
- Consuming Food
- Empowering and incentivising people to change their eating and feeding behaviour
- Reinforcing positive and nutritious cultural and social practices
- Educating around the needs of humans and the value of food
- Improving people’s understanding of what is and is not healthy
- Helping people make better food and feeding choices
- Helping reinforce and reward good food and feeding choices
- Food messaging and marketing; creative consumer engagement
- Labeling and packaging
- Using food data to drive understanding and behaviour change
- Driving inclusivity in the wider food system
- Remedying the disconnect between the consumer and the food value chain
- Collective action toward policy-making via investment, ‘buying into’ change
Selected innovators will have the opportunity to present their innovation to members of the LAUNCH network at the LAUNCH Food Forum, to be held in March 2017. The Forum is a facilitated multi-day event connecting innovators with investment partners, market leaders, and technical experts as well as philanthropic, NGO, and public sector actors committed to accelerating the adoption and scale of solutions.
Specifically, innovators will receive:
- An all-expenses-paid trip to attend the LAUNCH Forum in March 2017 for one member of your team (venue to be confirmed).
- Assistance with articulating a compelling narrative and growth strategy to create a concise, high-impact presentation, which will be streamed, live during the Forum and recorded for future use.
- Ongoing acceleration support, leveraging the LAUNCH network to unlock opportunities.
- Public recognition from LAUNCH and its partner organisations.
- Media and public relations training and exposure, including a professional video of your innovation story, which will be featured on LAUNCH.org.
- Continued engagement with, and access to, the LAUNCH network beyond this challenge cycle.
No cash prize will be awarded.
The challenge is open for anyone to apply. Responses from academics, companies (small or large), entrepreneurs, inventors, nonprofit organisations, research institutions, national laboratories, government agencies, social enterprises and funders are welcome. Cross-discipline and cross-geography teams are highly encouraged to apply. ‘Innovations’ may be at the stage of functional prototype up to market-ready solutions. Applicants ready to be supported by industry partners or ready to scale will receive the most benefit from the LAUNCH experience.
How to Apply
Participants must submit their innovations online via given website.
For more information, please visit LAUNCH Food Challenge.