- For Nominations: 22 February 2019
- For Applications: 8 March 2019
Applicants are invited to apply for the 2019 Grassroots Justice Prize competition to recognize grassroots organizations and institutions, large and small, across the globe, that are working to put the power of law into people’s hands.
The competition will honor the work of non-profits, social enterprises, and public institutions that have demonstrated remarkable innovation, impact, and/or sustainability in their legal empowerment work.
Legal empowerment is about helping people to know, use, and shape the laws that affect them. Eligible projects might use a community paralegal approach to address gender-based violence or may provide legal education on citizenship rights. The key is that they are using legal empowerment to help people overcome injustice in any of its varied forms.
Each of the three winners of the 2019 competition will receive $10,000 USD cash and will be honored at a ceremony during the U.N High-Level Political Forum in New York, all expenses paid. The event will take place in mid-July 2019.
- The 2019 Grassroots Justice Prize competition is open to non-profit organizations, social enterprises, and public institutions from all around the world.
- Organizations that partner directly with Namati are not eligible for the prize.
Kind of Projects
- They are looking for grassroots legal empowerment projects that demonstrate outstanding innovation, impact, and/or sustainability.
- Legal empowerment means giving people the power to know, use, and shape the laws that affect them. Eligible projects might use a community paralegal approach or they may be providing legal education and basic rights awareness. The key is that they are putting the power of law in people’s hands in order to tackle poverty, injustice, or other social problems.
- Projects that are restricted to one part of an organization’s overall work will also be considered.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit https://namati.org/network/justiceprize/