Deadline: 19 March 2019
The Wageningen UR Centre for Development Innovation (CDI) is inviting applicants for its course on “Food security in an Urbanising society”. The course starts from 9 September 2019 until 20 September 2019 in the Netherlands.
The global challenge is to provide sufficient food for a nutritious diet for healthy living for the growing world population that can be sustained for generations.This course explores the role of food systems in the provision of healthy and sustainable diets at national, regional and global levels.
It is crucial to develop resilient agri-food systems, effectively linking rural and urban areas, and manage food value chains from production to consumption in aholistic approach including efficient waste and energy management. Alongside these approaches, public health interventions are required to provide effective food safety nets, improve nutrition literacy, and induce changes in adequate quantities for urban dwellers, but also assuring environmental, social and economic sustainability of the production areas.
Upon completion of the course participants will:
- Participants get well acquainted with the framework of city region food systems in relation to food and nutrition security in densely populated areas;
- Participants are able to use the concepts of city region food systems to analyse urban food and nutrition security issues;
- Participants are able to use different designs, methods and approaches, and their interrelationships, in planning for food and nutrition security in urbanizing societies.
- The course is open to international participants and to MSc students of Wageningen University, preferably active in one of the following fields:rural/urban/spatial planning, agribusiness development, rural/urban livelihood governance, food and nutrition security and sustainable development.
- Several years of professional work experience and at least a BSc level are additional assets.
- Proficiency in English is a must.
How to Apply
Applications can be accessed online through the website. Applicants must first have to create an account on the website and register themselves for the course.
For more information, please visit https://bit.ly/2Ef94wU