Deadline: 6 February 2022
Submit applications for the 2022 Teach For India Fellowship, an opportunity for India’s brightest and most promising individuals, from the nation’s best universities and workplaces, to serve as full-time teachers to children from underserved communities in some of the nation’s most under-resourced schools.
Through this experience of teaching in classrooms and working with key education stakeholders like students, principals and parents, the Fellows get exposed to the grassroot realities of India’s education system and begin to cultivate the knowledge, skills, and mindsets necessary to attain positions of leadership in education and identify their role in building a wider movement for educational equity in the country.
Teach For India offers you the chance to make a real difference in tackling one of India’s most pressing challenges — educational inequity. By presenting you with one of the most difficult challenges of your life, the Fellowship will help you develop leadership skills that are critical in today’s dynamic global work environment. The Fellowship gives you an opportunity to become a part of the solution and develop as a change agent in the society.
The Teach For India Fellowship is a 2-year, full-time, paid commitment to teach in an under-resourced classroom in a government or low-income private school. In the first year, Fellows will refine their teaching skills and will start to establish respect and trust among various stakeholders within the school community and the students. This will allow Fellows to achieve significant academic gains for students and to implement their community/school project in the second year. Furthermore, Teach For India is looking for leaders who are willing to commit to long-term change and have the perseverance to work hard in challenging situations. In this context, the two-year commitment is but a small step towards long-term reform and is necessary to make the impact they wish to have on student achievement.
Teach For India Fellows will be paid a salary of Rs. 20,412 per month. If required to relocate from their home city, Fellows will be given a housing allowance ranging from Rs. 5,300 to Rs. 10,000, depending on the city in which they will stay. In addition, Fellows will receive an allowance for school supplies.
What options will be open to me after the Fellowship?
Their 4000+ Alumni are now spread all over the country and abroad in jobs ranging from consulting to education startups; and as students in top universities such as Harvard, Cornell, Chicago Booth, Columbia and Tata Institute of Social Sciences. Teach For India supports its Fellows to pursue their individual career interests by training and mentoring them and striving to build relationships with top schools, universities, NGOs, and corporations throughout the country. Teach For India has already established close ties with HDFC, Godrej Industries, Harvard Business School, IIM Bangalore, ISB, McKinsey & Company, Tata Consultancy Services, Columbia Law School, Ernst & Young and the Thermax Group, among many others.
Who are they looking for?
- In the Fellows, they are looking for leaders to join a movement towards educational equity. For that, aside from passion and commitment to the movement, they look for leadership potential that can develop through the two-year Fellowship.
- The Fellows must possess skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, grit and have a high bar of excellence for themselves and others. They must demonstrate interpersonal skills through their interactions with various stakeholders, along with academic excellence.
- They look for diversity in the cohort. The Fellows come from across the world representing over 300 college campuses and companies, with varied life experiences, expertise and professional experiences. The cohorts include college graduates, working professionals, and entrepreneurs.
- In order to be eligible to apply to the Fellowship program, you must be an Indian Citizen or an Overseas Citizen of India, you must have graduated with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree by June/July 2022, and this must be your first application to the 2022 cohort of the Teach For India Fellowship.
- Minimum Qualification: You must have completed all coursework required for your undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree equivalent) from an accredited college or university by the last week of May 2022. Your degree transcripts (graduate/postgraduate certificates) will be reviewed before an admission decision can be taken. Applicants must also pass any coursework indicated in their transcripts at the time of the interview.
- Nationality: You should be either an Indian citizen or a foreign national of Indian origin. Foreign citizens who are not of Indian origin are not eligible to apply.
- Note to Foreign nationals of Indian origin: For more information on the OCI card, please go to the website of the Ministry of Home Affairs. To apply for the OCI card, visit the Online OCI Registration Form. They recommend applying for the OCI card as soon as you have made the decision to join the Fellowship, as it takes approximately 1-3 months to receive the card.
- Commitment and Location: The Fellowship is a 2-year, full-time, paid commitment to teaching and living in one of the placement cities (Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune) starting May/June 2022. Fellows will be full-time staff members of the schools in which they are placed and will work stipulated school hours six days a week as well as attending training and support sessions as per city requirements.
- English Fluency: You should be fluent in the English language, as Teach For India Fellows will be placed in English-medium classrooms and will be expected to teach in and attend training sessions conducted in English.
- Age Limit: There is no age limit to apply for Teach For India Fellowship.
For more information, visit https://apply.teachforindia.org/