Deadline: 16 March 2020
Applications are now open for the Jacobs Foundation Research Fellowship Program which is a globally competitive fellowship program for early career researchers whose work is dedicated to improving the development, learning and living conditions of children and youth.
The relevant disciplines include, but are not limited, to education sciences, psychology, economics, sociology, family studies, media studies, political science, linguistics, neurosciences, and medical sciences.
Fellowships are awarded to highly talented and innovative early career researchers who have received their PhD within the past 10 years. Funding from Jacobs Foundation Research Fellowships is awarded directly to the fellow’s institution and may be used by the fellow over a three-year period to cover a portion of the fellow’s salary and for any purpose in support of the fellow’s research, such as assistants’ salaries, equipment, technical assistance, professional travel, or trainee support.
The three-year Jacobs Foundation Research Fellowship begins on January 1 and ends on December 31 three years later. These dates are not negotiable.
- Funding amount: CHF 150’000 ;
- Funding period: 3 years;
- Number of fellowships per year: Up to 12.
Besides providing fellows with independent and competitive funding, the program offers a wide range of non-financial benefits. Fellows are encouraged to interact with each other and organize in regional and/or topical groups, retreats and workshops. Networking and alumni events will enrich the fellowships.
- The fellowship program is international and open to researchers from any country. (Note: The question on the application regarding a geographic focus refers to the focus of your research).
- Scholars who engage in interdisciplinary work on individual development and learning of children and youth, and who seek to combine multiple levels of analysis, are particularly encouraged to apply.
- The ideal candidate:
- Has obtained his/her PhD or equivalent degree within the past 10 years;
- Is employed at an institution of higher education or research institute;
- Is conducting high-quality research in an area of interest to the Jacobs Foundation;
- Is committed to engaging with the Jacobs Foundation and the Fellowship Network and contributing to the Foundation’s activities.
The following selection criteria are weighted equally:
- Past research accomplishments and publication record;
- Creativity and potential for serving as a leader in the scientific community;
- Scientific quality of methods and data;
- International relevance of the fellow’s planned work;
- Potential for promoting human development and learning;
- Alignment of planned projects with the goals of the Jacobs Foundation;
- Willingness to support the Foundation’s aims and to engage with them.
How to Apply
- Click on Post Application.
- Register on the Spigit website to gain access.
- Fill in the online application form. You may save your application at any time and finish later.
- The application form will close automatically upon completion.
Three additional documents must be submitted:
To be uploaded in connection with the application form:
- The candidate’s curriculum vitae, including a list of the candidate’s scientific publications
- A scientific paper by the candidate
To be sent separately to the Jacobs Foundation:
- A 1-page recommendation letter from a department head or other senior researcher supporting the candidate and describing his/her qualifications, initiative, and research.
Incomplete applications and applications not submitted via the online application form will not be considered.
For more information, visit https://jacobsfoundation.org/en/call-for-applications-research-fellowship-program-2020/