Deadline extended till: 1 May 2020
The U.S. Embassy Windhoek has announced an open competition for organizations interested in submitting applications for projects that are community-initiated and involving schools, clinics, co-operatives, associations, training or community improvement projects. This program supports small sustainable community-based initiatives that have immediate and dramatic impact on local communities.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
The U.S. Ambassador’s Special Self-Help (SSH) program is a grass-roots assistance program that allows U.S. embassies to respond quickly to local requests for small community-based development projects. The SSH program provides small, one-time grants to community groups that are working to improve the basic economic and social conditions of their villages or communities. The program is designed to support small scale projects that benefit an entire community. The focus will be on projects that assist disadvantaged or marginalized groups.
The U.S. Embassy will prioritize funding projects in the following sectors for disadvantaged or marginalized groups:
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
- Human-Wildlife Conflict Mitigation Measures: Projects could include physical upgrades such as predator-resistance kraals or electric fencing.
- Renewable Energy: Projects could include items such as solar panels or small wind turbines.
- Drought Mitigation: Projects could create irrigation or water supply systems in rural communities.
- Food Security: Projects could include gardens or hydroponics projects.
Applicants should not request more than $20,000 USD. Applicants should include an anticipated start date of September/October 2020 and the project period should be no more than 12 months.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
- The Embassy welcomes applications from schools, cooperatives, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), Community Based Organizations (CBOs), or Faith Based Organizations (FBOs) that support community-based initiatives.
- Government institutions, close corporations, or other for-profit businesses are not eligible.
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
- Be initiated by the community.
- Quickly improve basic economic or social conditions in the local community.
- Benefit the highest possible number of people.
- Not require additional funding assistance at the end of one year.
- Involve a significant community contribution in cash, labor, or materials.
- Involve community members who can operate and maintain the project on their own after Self-Help assistance ends.
- Whenever possible, projects should contribute to income-generating or self-sustaining activities, but the emphasis should be on the community benefit.
How to Apply
Applications can be emailed at the address given on the website.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
For more information, please visit https://na.usembassy.gov/education-culture/grant-programs/