Deadline: 2 June 2020
In response to the global health crisis, Africalia wants to support artists in their creative dynamics by setting up the “Creativity is life” grants.
No country or area is spared by covid-19, and the population is largely locked down. The cultural and creative field is particularly affected : they are the first sector that had to stop its activities and will likely be the last to start up again
- In response to the global health crisis, particularly affecting the cultural sector, Africalia supports artists in their creative dynamics by setting up the “Creativity is life” grants.
- This punctual solution aims at supporting the production of artistic works during, in response to or following the crisis. The goal is to give a voice and a space for expression to artists from a variety of backgrounds, focusing on emerging artists’ works, with the aim of making “visible” and “audible” cultural actors who are little highlighted and particularly vulnerable to this crisis.
- Africalia is convinced that creative operators must take part in building the world of tomorrow.
The Creativity is Life grant should allow a form of “creative residency” at home – this lockdown gives time for creation. This grant intends to support artists in an emergency situation and allow them to focus on the creative process rather than on their daily survival. Africalia is supporting a constructive, positive and forward-looking dynamic.
- Response to Covid-19 “Here and Now” or “Tomorrow’s World”
- Here and now: Inspiration: during this unprecedented situation, the artist is offering a reflection on Covid period, a look at society, an escape, a message of hope.
- Thinking the world of tomorrow: in order to participate in building a more sustainable and fairer future, the artist is offering his vision, questions, ideas, and creativity… What will the post-crisis world be like: can we reinvent it?
Result Art Work
Depending on the discipline, the artist is offering a “residency release” deliverable: it must be an artwork that can be released on the internet (script, text from a recorded book, clips, photographs, videos, etc.). The digital dimension is an integral part of the project: be creative!
Grant amount: 1500 euros per artist – allocated in 2 instalments: 1000 euros at the start of the project and 500 euros upon presentation of the deliverable and a report.
- Being an artist, all disciplines combined (provide a CV or other evidence of experience in your field of activity – Minimum 3 experiences).
- Living in one of the following countries: Burkina Faso, Kenya, Uganda, DRC, Rwanda, Senegal, Zimbabwe
- Being of legal age.
- Completing the application form.
- A computer or at least a smartphone with internet connection to “digitalize” the artwork created and communicate with Africalia.
- A bank account in your name for payments.
- Project Creativity: innovation, topic, artistic dimension
- Realization potential: deliverable available in digital version
- Artist’s motivation
For more information, visit https://africalia.be/fr/News-and-press/CREATIVITY-IS-LIFE-CREATIVITY-SUPPORT-GRANTS?lang=fr