Deadline: 30 August 2019
The goal of this Programme is to contribute towards developing an informed, empowered and democratic nation. Uraia wishes to work with Organisations that subscribe to its values, which are, integrity, professionalism, teamwork, equality, equity and non-partisanship.
This call aims at supporting Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) non-partisan projects targeted at achieving the following Programme objectives:
- KFA 1: Entrenching constitutionalism:
- Facilitating citizens to embody national values and the spirit of the Constitution in the exercise of their sovereign power.
- Facilitating CSOs and citizens to participate in strengthening public institutions and holding public officials to account.
- Safeguarding and strengthening devolution for improved service delivery and transformation of lives.
- KFA 2: Promoting Free and Fair Elections:
- Enhancing participation of citizens in the electoral processes.
- KFA 3: Addressing the historical political marginalisation of women, youth, persons with disabilities and minority communities in Kenya:
- Increasing and enhancing representation of historically marginalised groups and communities in governance processes.
The maximum grant amount applicable is kshs 6.0m
The period for applicant’s proposed project is a minimum of 12 months and maximum of 15 months.
Expected Programme Results
- Expected Outcomes: Proposed interventions should contribute to:
- Increased citizen participation, engagement and oversight in governance at the national and county level.
- Improved service delivery at the county level.
- Improved participation of women, youth and PWDs in decision making and governance processes.
- Expected Outputs: Proposed activities should contribute to the following outputs:
- Citizens acquire civic and voter knowledge on the Constitution, electoral processes, gender equality, devolution and public participation.
- Citizens engaging in monitoring and oversight of county government performance.
- Capacity of marginalized groups (Women, Youth, minority communities and PWDs) strengthened to participate in decision making processes.
Type of Activities
These may include:
- Civic education activities that are innovative and include the use of different media, but not limited to the use of community radio and theatre. The civic education should focus on among others:
- Education on the implications and application of the Constitution, devolution, rights and responsibilities including conversations on on-going constitutional matters.
- Promoting internalization of national values & principles of governance, national cohesion, gender equality, leadership and integrity.
- Education on electoral processes (e.g. boundaries review process).
- Civic engagement activities that focuses on among others:
- Equipping local communities with knowledge and skills for their participation in county planning and budgeting process.
- Capacity building and facilitating local communities to participate in monitoring implementation of county plans and service delivery using social accountability mechanisms.
- Mobilizing and facilitating community accountability formations to engage in monitoring county governments on service delivery.
- Capacity building and facilitation of local communities to demand accountability from county governments.
- Capacity building of marginalized groups (women, youth and PWDs) to participate in local decision-making processes and structures.
- Creating spaces/networks for CSOs/citizen engagement with county governments to promote participatory governance for improved service delivery.
- This call targets county-based organizations with a physical presence in the counties: Bomet, Kericho, Kirinyaga, Machakos, Makueni, and Nyamira.
- Applying organisations must have a physical presence in the target county and provide evidence of the same when applying. Organizations for Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) in the counties are highly encouraged to apply.
Note: An organisation can only apply to work in One County. This call is being re advertised for the above counties. Therefore, Organizations that had previously responded to the Call advertised in March 2019 and underwent the capacity assessment need not apply.
How to Apply
Interested organizations should submit their proposals via email at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit https://uraia.or.ke/call-for-proposals/