There is attractive prize money and a special recognition that gives your project recognition and reach. Take the chance!
The Youth Democracy Award is a youth project of the Federal Agency for Civic Education, based on the International Democracy Award. Once a year, the Youth Democracy Prize is awarded to young people for their commitment to projects that promote democracy in an outstanding way. The Youth Democracy Award is a tribute from young people for young people, because the decisions are made by a youth jury.
You are right for the Youth Democracy Award if the following points apply to your project:
- With your project you are actively committed to democracy in the society.
- You carry out the project independently as a project maker.
- Everyone can participate within your project.
- You pay attention to your fellow human beings and your environment.
- Your project is creative and implements new ideas and approaches.
- Your project can achieve a lot with little.
- Your project inspires others to take action or think.
They particularly encourage young and small youth initiatives to apply, even if you don’t meet all of the points listed.
- young people from all over Germany between the ages of 14 and 27.
Your project must meet the following points:
- Your project is by young people for young people. As a project maker, you are between 14 and 27 years old. You develop the idea of your project yourself and implement it independently. However, you can also receive support from teachers, for example, if you are the only one to take the initiative.
- They look forward to projects from all over Germany.
- The activities of your project and the project sponsors are in accordance with democratic principles.
- They are looking for innovative projects that deal with the topic of democracy and move you and your environment. By democracy, they mean not only elections and structures, but also the commitment to an open society and the interests of young people. All kinds of projects are conceivable – e.g. a (digital) youth meeting, the creation of a video clip, a school initiative, (cross-generational) neighborhood help, a sports project or something completely different. There are no limits to your imagination, they like to be surprised!
- The time frame of your project can range from a day to a few months to a few years. Completed projects must not date back more than one year (05/31/2022).
- A non-profit background is a requirement. Projects that are exclusively financed and implemented by the Federal Agency for Civic Education cannot be considered.
- The selection of the award winners is made solely on the basis of the application form. Further material cannot be considered for reasons of fairness.
- The applications for the projects must be submitted in German and using an online form.
- The selection is made by a youth jury.
For more information, visit Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung (bpb).