Applications for the 2023 Global STEM Accelerators are open to young women from anywhere in the world.
An extraordinary, full scholarship program for girls who are active global citizens and energized to help solve some of today’s biggest global challenges.
Women around the world currently make up more than half of the college-educated workforce. However, STEM fields are made up of only 28% women. Women and girls who desire to learn more about STEM often face a challenging set of circumstances in fields that are traditionally dominated by men. That’s why they have created a program dedicated to the future of women in STEM fields. By providing an opportunity for girls from around the world to explore their interests in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, they can start to change this trend and open up more possibilities for the perspectives of women in the greater goal of reaching a sustainable future.
Scholarship winners will participate in 12 week all-virtual programs focusing on emerging and critical STEM skills and fields, global competence education, and social impact (co-developed with the University of Pennsylvania). Scholars will enrich their STEM knowledge and skills through interactive, hands-on curriculum, while developing critical global competencies, including problem-solving, analytical skills, intercultural understanding, and the ability to build bridges across cultures.
The program culminates with team projects and presentations that offer potential solutions to real-world challenges, with an emphasis on climate change and the energy transition. Scholars who complete the program earn the Advanced Certificate on Global Competence for Social Impact, awarded by AFS and the University of Pennsylvania Center for Social Impact Strategy. bp, a global energy company, provides funding that supports these scholarships.
- Applications for the 2023 Global STEM Accelerators are open to young women from anywhere in the world who meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be young women ages 15-17.5 years old at the program start date (Birth dates from December 1, 2005, through September 1, 2008).
- Must be able to participate fully in a classroom setting and program conducted entirely in English.
- Demonstrated interest in sustainability, STEM, and interacting with different cultures.
- Talented young people from all backgrounds who reflect the diversity of populations around the world, particularly underrepresented populations and students with high financial need, are strongly encouraged to apply!
- The 12-week all-virtual Global STEM Accelerators exchange program will run in two cohorts in 2023:
- Cohort 2: 26 August – 19 November, 2023
- Applications for Cohort 2 open on 15 May, 2023.
For more information, visit AFS Global STEM Accelerators.