Deadline: 9 October 2019
The National Geographic Society and Microsoft’s AI for Earth program is inviting applications from all over the world to support novel projects that create and deploy AI tools to improve the way they monitor, model, and ultimately manage Earth’s natural systems for a more sustainable future.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
The grants given by the partnership will support projects that create and deploy open source trained models and algorithms that make key analytical processes more efficient in the environmental field. As an additional opportunity, Microsoft will help the successful proposals make the completed models available for use by other environmental researchers and innovators.
To address the many pressing scientific questions and environmental challenges facing our planet, they must increase global understanding of how human activity is affecting natural systems and create a community of change, driven by data and cutting-edge technology.
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
Modern technologies, such as satellite and remote imaging, bioacoustic monitoring, and genomics, have led to massive and more complex data sets.
Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning can capitalize on the information potential of such data, leading to faster and more meaningful insights and creating the potential for transformative solutions.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
- Proposals may request $5,000 to $100,000.
- The budgets of successful proposals will include reasonable, well-justified costs directly required to complete the project.
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
Proposed work should create generalizable, scalable tools that use AI for conservation in at least one of the following core areas:
- Agriculture: Agriculture must transition to a more sustainable model with lower environmental impact. AI can help in areas such as:
- Land-use planning and management
- Precision agriculture
- Natural resource conservation
- Sustainable supply chains
- Climate-resilient agriculture
- Water efficiency and management
- Water: Management of the world’s freshwater supply needs to anticipate climate change impacts as well as increasing demand. AI can help in areas such as:
- Extreme-event impacts on water supply (droughts, floods, disasters, etc.)
- Water supply (including catchment control)
- Water quality and sanitation
- Climate change: Countries and communities around the world are engaged in climate resilience, adaptation, and mitigation efforts. AI can help in areas such as:
- Extreme weather and climate modeling
- Sustainable land-use change
- Ecosystem services (including carbon sequestration and afforestation/reforestation)
- Resilience to extreme-event impacts (droughts, floods, disasters, etc.)
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
All models supported through this grant must be open source, and grant recipients must be willing to publicly share their models for use by other environmental researchers and their data for use by the National Geographic Society.
How to Apply
(Ad) Lots of grant opportunities but no idea how to write a proposal to apply for them? We have a huge collection of sample proposals available only for Premium Members. You can view these proposals and even request for download. Get ideas from other successful grantees and write your proposal quickly. Learn more.
Interested applicants can apply online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://www.nationalgeographic.org/funding-opportunities/grants/what-we-fund/ai-earth-innovation/