Deadline: 8 October 2018
The National Geographic Society (NGS) and Microsoft’s AI for Earth program are seeking proposals to support the exploration of how Artificial intelligence (AI) can help us understand, engage, and protect the planet.
The grants will support the creation and deployment of open source trained models and algorithms that are available to other environmental researchers and innovators and thereby have the potential to provide exponential impact.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
To qualify, applications should outline a proposal to use AI for conservation in at least one of the following core areas:
- Biodiversity conservation: Species are going extinct at alarming rates, and our planet’s last wild places need protection. AI can help in areas like:
- Protected area management and restoration
- Sustainable trade
- Invasive species and disease control
- Pollution control
- Realizing natural capital (including valuing natural capital, species identification)
- Climate change: Extreme weather events, rising sea levels, higher global temperatures, and increased ocean acidity threaten human health, infrastructure, and the natural systems they rely on for life itself. AI can help in areas like:
- Climate resilience
- Extreme weather and climate modeling
- Sustainable land-use change
- Ecosystem services (including carbon sequestration and afforestation/reforestation)
- Agriculture: To feed the world’s rapidly growing population, farmers must produce more food on less arable land, and with lower environmental impact. AI can help in areas like:
- Land-use planning and management
- Natural resource conservation
- Sustainable supply chains
- Climate-resilient agriculture
- Water: In the next two decades, demand for fresh water—for human consumption, agriculture, and hygiene—is predicted to dramatically outpace supply. AI can help in areas like:
- Water supply (including catchment control)
- Water quality and sanitation
- Water efficiency
- Extreme-event (droughts, floods, disasters, etc.) management
- Healthy oceans
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Typical proposal requests should be less than $100,000; however, applicants may request up to $200,000.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- The National Geographic Society recommend that the main applicant has a demonstrated background in environmental science and/or technology, and they require that at least one member of the team has strong enough technical skills (such as AI, machine learning, statistical data analysis, scientific modeling, software development, and/or remote sensing) to complete the proposed project successfully.
- The National Geographic Society believes great ideas spring from a diversity of experiences, and thus encourage applications from all over the world.
- Project Requirements: All models supported through this grant must be open source, and grant recipients must be willing to share their models for use by other environmental researchers and innovators.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via given website.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
For more information, please visit AI for Earth Program.