Deadline: 27 March 2019
Applicants are invited to apply for the first round of the 2019 Pacific Development and Conservation Trust’s Grant program to promote sustainable development in the Pacific and New Zealand, while conserving the natural environment and cultural heritage of its people.
The Trust provides grants for a range of conservation, cultural heritage, development and goodwill projects and activities in the Pacific. It supports sustainable development where communities join in and work together with iwi (tribes), hapū (sub-tribe), aiga or whanau (family grouping).
The objectives of the Trust shall be to encourage and promote:
- the enhancement protection and conservation of the physical environment of the Pacific and of its natural and historic resources;
- the peaceful economic, physical, and social, development of the Pacific and of its peoples;
- the peaceful conservation and development of the cultural heritage of the peoples of the Pacific;
- peace understanding and good-will between the peoples of the Pacific.
- The Trust has about $250,000 to give as grants each year.
- There is no minimum or maximum grant amount. Grants have ranged from $2,000 to $50,000.
The Trust prefers to fund projects that:
- encourage and promote social, cultural and economic self-sufficiency;
- improve legal access to facilities or resources necessary for social, cultural and economic self-sufficiency;
- improve health, living standards and quality of life;
- protect endangered or threatened species;
- protect unique habitats and ecosystems;
- promote sustainable management and use of natural resources;
- protect or restore sites of important historical, environmental or cultural heritage;
- raise awareness of, or improve access to, historical, environmental or cultural heritage;
- build capacity in local communities particularly for developing indigenous ecological knowledge;
- improve cooperation and communication between communities; or
- encourage peace, security and greater understanding between people, cultures and communities
Citizens or organisations from the below-mentioned countries are eligible to apply.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply online via given website.
Eligible Countries: American Samoa, Australia, the Cook Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia (Chuuk, Kosrae, Pohnpei and Yap), Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, the Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna.
For more information, please visit https://www.communitymatters.govt.nz/pacific-development-and-conservation-trust-2/