- 2022 Awards: Climate action and the environment (SDG13, SDG14 or SDG15)
- Goal 13: Climate Action – Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 14: Life below Water – Conserve andsustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources
- Goal 15: Life on Land – Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss
- Cash prize of USD 5,000.
- All-expenses-paid trip to attend the Awards Ceremony to be held at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in February 2022. The trip will be confirmed in the coming months according to how the COVID-19 pandemic evolves; it may be that the awards ceremony is celebrated online. Awardees will not be required to travel if they judge the situation to be unsafe.
- The 5 awards will be distributed as follows: one for each of the four regions of the developing world (Africa, Arab region, Asia & the Pacific and Latin America & the Caribbean), plus an additional floating” award for an outstanding candidate from any of these regions.
Eligible Scientific Fields
- The awards seek applications from women researchers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) – and how they intersect with the aforementioned SDGs. The eligible scientific fields are as follows:
- Any combination of these fields (i.e. interdisciplinarity) is acceptable. The OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards are offered to women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- Applications from women in Social sciences, Humanities, Arts or other are NOT eligible.
- In addition, the applicant must havelived and worked for at least 5 of the last 15 years in one of the 66 scientifically and technologically lagging countries (STLCs) listed here:
- Africa: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Dem. Rep. Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Arab Region: Djibouti, Palestine (West Bank & Gaza Strip), Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Yemen.
- Asia & Pacific: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Kiribati, Lao People’s Dem. Rep., Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
- Latin America & Caribbean: Bolivia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Paraguay.
For more information, visit https://owsd.net/call-applications-2022-owsd-elsevier-foundation-awards