Nominations are now open for the Start Up Energy Transition Award (SET) 2023, an international competition for start-ups worldwide who are working on ideas affecting the global energy transition and climate change.
- Energy Generation & Storage
- The generation, storage and distribution of renewable energy is the backbone of the energy transition. It forms the basis of green energy supply and supports many sister services that are creating their net zero future. In this category, they are looking for start-ups developing solutions to decarbonise their most energy-intensive sectors, as well as those accelerating the adoption of new solutions through capacity building.
- Key words (not limited to): Clean Energy Generation | Energy Storage | Grid operation & Flexibility | Power DSO/TSO | Hydrogen & applications | Bio & alternative fuels | Waste to Heat/Energy
- Mobility & Transportation
- So long as they have space, they will need to move in it. Transportation and mobility continues to be one of the most essential but energy-intensive sectors they monitor (using 26% of global energy). As this sector continues to grow, so does their need for innovations that cut its emissions. This category rewards creative solutions in a sector that can span the large and the physical to the virtual and the digital.
- Key words (not limited to): Smart Mobility | Charging Technology | Synthetic fuels | Public transport | Cargo & Fleet management | energy efficiency in Logistics | Last Mile Transportation | Maritime & Aviation Sector
- Industry is one of the most challenging sectors for decarbonisation and energy innovation. But while this sector accounts for one-third of global greenhouse emissions and 38% of energy use, progress is slow, associated with major changes in materials, unwieldy bureaucratic processes, and high upfront costs. Nevertheless, innovation here represents one of the biggest, most important, and most profitable ways for companies to decarbonise.
- Key words (not limited to): renewable energy applications for industry | new energy sources | increasing efficiency | waste heat utilisation | Carbon Reduction & Accounting | carbon capture / DAC/ CCUS
- Buildings & Construction
- Their built environments consume lots of energy (30% of global energy), whether in construction, materials used, or the chunk that is wasted in keeping them warm or cold. This last factor is often overlooked as attentions shift to more headline-grabbing projects. But urban energy concepts, digitalisation and new energy communities are playing a vital role in bringing change to this important sector. Everyone, from the private household to commercial properties to the industry itself. This category rewards those creating the comfortable, cost-effective, energy-efficient buildings of the future.
- Key words (not limited to): Heating & Cooling | new materials | low-energy concepts | urban energy transition | energy communities | district energy systems | heat supply & district heating | building efficiency
- Quality Energy Access & SDG-7
- The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015, provides a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future. The main goal for them is captured in SDG-7: ensuring all have access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern clean energy. In this category, they reward start-ups who are looking to the future and working with and empowering the communities that are most impacted by climate change. They are looking for innovations that will make energy services for all a reality.
- Key words (not limited to): Affordable, reliable and modern Energy for all | off-grid communities | micro grids | expansion and modernisation of infrastructure | empowerment
- Winner of category
- €10 000 Prize money per winner
- Profile of start-up celebrated across the World Energy Council’s global energy network in 99 countries
- Opportunity to attend the World Energy Leaders’ Summit
- Extra visibility and PR
- Round trip flights to and from Berlin, and accommodation for 2 representatives of the start-up to attend the SET Tech Festival and Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue
- Connect with a C-level jury
- Booth at the SET Tech Festival
- Live pitches at the SET Tech Festival
- Investor matchmaking
- Feature in the “Energy Frontrunners” series
- Access to exclusive partner events globally
- Feature in their annual SET100 list publication, which is circulated to investors, corporates, and political stakeholders across the globe
- Free tickets to the SET Tech Festival 2023
- Free tickets to the Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue (BETD) 2023
- Content creation: interviews & articles
- Access to exclusive partner events globally
- All participants
- Inform and influence policies that will boost innovation
- Have your voice heard and participate in the World Energy Survey
- National and international companies that contribute to the success of the energy transition with their products can apply for the ‘Start Up Energy Transition Award’ (‘SET Award’).
- The company must have been founded no more than 10 years beforehand. The object of the application must be an already implemented project, manufactured product, or existing prototype. It is not possible to apply with just an idea for which no concrete steps have been taken. The founding of a company and the development of a business plan are not sufficient in and of themselves.
- Participation in other start-up initiatives or competitions is possible.
- Applicants may only apply to one category. All subsequent applications to other categories will be disqualified.
- The start-up must not have been founded longer than ten years ago. In other words, the date of foundation cannot exceed 2012.
- The application, including any attached documents, must be in English.
- The start-up must be able to present a functioning prototype. In addition, the company must be registered or be in the process of becoming registered and the applicant must be able to present a proof of concept or a client, and/or an industrial/corporate/institutional partner.
- The applicant must fill out the entire form. Partially completed applications will not be accepted.
For more information, visit https://www.startup-energy-transition.com/current-award/