Deadline: 8 May 2017
The Wellcome Foundation is seeking applications for its “Intermediate Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine” to support research that will improve public health and tropical medicine at a local, national and global level.
This scheme helps mid-career researchers from low- and middle-income countries establish independent research programmes in those countries.
- An Intermediate Fellowship in Public Health and Tropical Medicine is for up to five years and cannot be renewed. It can be held on a part-time basis. Support includes:
- a basic salary (determined by host organisation)
- personal removal expenses
- research expenses, directly related to proposal
- Applicant can also apply for public engagement funds to involve the public in his/her research and inspire learning.
- After completing a year of this fellowship, applicant can apply for enhancement funds. These funds allow him/her to explore new opportunities or paths of discovery, or support unanticipated costs.
- Applicants can apply for an Intermediate Fellowship in Public Health and Tropical Medicine if they:
- are a national of a low- or middle-income country
- have a PhD or a degree in medicine and are qualified to enter higher specialist training
- have three to six years postdoctoral experience.
- If applicants don’t have a PhD or degree in medicine, foundation may still consider him/her if he/she have a first or Master’s degree and can show substantial research experience. Applicant must also:
- have a strong track record in his/her area of research and show the potential to become a scientific leader
- have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation in a low- or middle-income country
- have a research proposal that is within the public health and tropical medicine remit.
- If applicant have been away from research (e.g. for a career break, maternity leave, or long-term sick leave), foundation will allow for this when they consider applicants application. If applicant has taken formal maternity, paternity, adoption or long-term sick leave, foundation will allow an extra six months for each period of leave when we consider postdoctoral experience.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Gambia, Niger, Benin, Guinea, Rwanda, Burkina Faso, Guinea-Bissau, Sierra Leone, Burundi, Haiti, Somalia, Cambodia, Korea, South Sudan, Central African Republic, Liberia, Tanzania, Chad, Madagascar, Togo, Comoros, Malawi, Uganda, Congo, Mali, Zimbabwe, Eritrea, Mozambique, Ethiopia, Nepal, Armenia, Indonesia, Samoa, Bangladesh, Kenya, São Tomé and Principe, Bhutan, Kiribati, Senegal, Bolivia, Kosovo, Solomon Islands, Cape Verde, Kyrgyz Republic, Sri Lanka, Cameroon, Lao PDR, Sudan, Congo, Rep., Lesotho, Swaziland, Côte d’Ivoire, Mauritania, Syrian, Djibouti, Micronesia, Tajikistan, Egypt, Moldova, Timor-Leste, El Salvador, Morocco, Ukraine, Georgia, Myanmar, Uzbekistan, Ghana, Nicaragua, Vanuatu, Guatemala, Nigeria, Vietnam, Guyana, Pakistan, West Bank and Gaza, Honduras, Papua New Guinea, Yemen, India, Philippines, Zambia, Albania, Fiji, Namibia, Algeria, Gabon, Palau, American Samoa, Grenada, Panama, Angola, Iran, Paraguay, Azerbaijan, Iraq, Peru, Belarus, Jamaica, Romania, Belize, Jordan, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kazakhstan, South Africa, Botswana, Lebanon, St. Lucia, Brazil, Libya, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Suriname, China, Malaysia, Thailand, Colombia, Maldives, Tonga, Costa Rica, Marshall Islands, Tunisia, Cuba, Mauritius, Turkey, Dominica, Mexico, Turkmenistan, Dominican Republic, Mongolia, Tuvalu, Ecuador, Montenegro.
For more information, please visit Wellcome Foundation.