Deadline: 15 August 2016
The International Council for Science (ICSU), in partnership with the Network of African Science Academies (NASAC) and the International Social Science Council (ISSC), is currently seeking pre-proposals to identify collaborative research projects engaging atleast with two nexus areas (energy, health or natural disasters) in the urban environment in Africa.
The call for pre-proposals aims to identify collaborative research projects in Africa interested to explore inter-relationships across at least two domains of the nexus and that clearly indicate the inter- and trans-disciplinary nature of the research project.
The program will support 10 research projects across Africa to the value of up to 90,000 Euro each over two years.
- This call is open only to African early career scientists based at organizations in Africa.
- Applicants should have no more than 10 years work experience following their PhDs or equivalent research experience. If an applicant does not have a PhD, evidence proving research experience should be provided.
- The programme aims to foster research collaboration across Africa, therefore each project should involve minimum 2 African countries. Ideally at least one member of the research team should be based in a low income country (based on OECD ODA’s ranking) or the inclusion of collaborators from the poorest parts of middle income nations should be demonstrated. Engagement with two or more nexus areas (energy, health, natural disasters) in the urban environment.
- Both individual researchers and research teams can submit pre-proposals. However, individual applicants should indicate the name of the collaborator(s) and attach a letter confirming hislher interest in research collaboration. – In the case of applications submitted by the research teams, only the lead applicant will be invited to attend the training on integrated research.
- The institution under which the project will take place should be based in an African country. This institution should provide a letter of support for the project, if it’s successful. A senior scientist from this institution who will supervise the applicant should also provide a letter of support. Applications which do not include such letters will not be considered.
- All projects must include a university partner.
How to Apply
Pre-proposals must be submitted online via given website.
Eligible Countries: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d’Ivorie, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
For more information, please visit this link.