Deadline: 30 June 2020
The fight against COVID-19 is at a crucial tipping point, so the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Hackster.io, an Avnet company and the largest online open-source technology hardware community, are taking action. The two organizations have partnered to launch the COVID-19 Detect and Protect Challenge to create open-source technology that developing countries can leverage in the fight against this global pandemic.
As COVID-19 has shown, challenge and crisis cross borders – impacting everywhere on Earth. However, innovation and ingenuity are not constrained by geography. The COVID-19 Detect and Protect Challenge is an opportunity to find and apply the best and brightest of humanity, wherever it may be found.
A panel of judges will review and select the top 10 open source solutions on a rolling basis through 2020. Winners will receive global recognition and variety of awards for their contribution to society and humankind. Using the UNDP’s vast global network and resources from all supporting partners, they will work with the winning creators on the best way to transfer the knowledge to those who need it most.
This challenge has three priority actions:
- Design replicable, low-cost tools to aid in coronavirus detection
- Flatten the curve in communities with preventive solutions
- Reduce the disease’s impact on economies of these vulnerable areas
Global UNDP Innovator Award ($1,500 value) (10 are available)
You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are at least 13 years of age
- If you are 12 years or younger, you must receive a legal guardian’s permission and have them complete Hackster’s contest permission form prior to submitting an entry into this contest.
- You are not a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria, US export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to the countries listed above, therefore residents of these countries are not eligible to participate in this challenge.
- You are not involved in the execution or administration of this contest.
- You are not an immediate family member or household member of a Hackster employee.
For more information, visit https://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/news-centre/news/2020/undp-and-hackster-io-partner-to-launch-a-global-innovation-chall.html