The American Savings Foundation is pleased to announce the Community Grants to respond to local community needs throughout the 64 towns they serve.
What do they Fund?
- Grants are primarily awarded for direct service and should not include capital purchases such as computers or space renovations. Select requests for essential capital equipment may be considered – call the Foundation before submitting any capital request.
- This program is designed to provide meaningful support as a percentage of the specific budget for which funds are requested. Requests for funding should not represent the lead or primary funding source for the program or project.
- Grants range from $250 to $5,000. Awards may be made for less than the amount requested.
- Renewals are never automatic. If awarded for three consecutive years, the agency may not reapply for a period of one year.
- Only one request for a specific program or project will be considered from any agency in a calendar year.
- An agency may only receive one community grant within a calendar year.
- Agencies that have been awarded a program grant or after school grant are not eligible.
- The Foundation considers requests for up to $5,000 in the areas of education, human services, and arts and culture.
- Organization must be tax exempt under IRS section 501(c)(3).
- With very few exceptions, they do not fund:
- General operating support or unrestricted grants
- Primary or secondary schools — public, private independent, or parochial — or colleges and universities
- Funding to replace municipal, state or federal funding, or direct funding to municipal organizations.
- If your request is for any of the purposes, they strongly encourage you call the Foundation before submitting a proposal.
- Political advocacy and lobbying
- Religious institutions, except for non-sectarian activities that benefit the community at-large
- Annual campaigns
- Endowment funds
- Travel (e.g. sports teams, field trips)
- Animal welfare organizations
- Disease-specific research or other specific
- Environmental conservation, land trust, or other related causes
- Event sponsorships
- Private FoundationsEvent sponsorships – while they will consider support for an artistic organization’s full performance season, they generally do not provide funding for a single event. they also do not support fund-raising events (golf tournaments, galas) or anniversary events. Rare exceptions may include a youth concert or science event that is programmatic in nature, incorporating meaningful learning elements both before and after the event.
For more information, visit American Savings Foundation.