Deadline: 5 February 2017
Applications are open for 2017 Barclays Techstars Accelerator-Africa with an aim to help start-ups accelerate their growth and transform the African continent.
With applications open to startups from anywhere in the world, 10 companies will ultimately be selected to move to Cape Town for 13-week programme. The program will commence at RISE Cape Town on May 9th 2017.
The Barclays Accelerator Powered by Techstars is a three month intensive startup accelerator focused on innovations in financial services. This partnership between Barclays and Techstars brings two global networks together into one accelerator programme that offers entrepreneurs unprecedented access not only to a world leading bank but also to Techstars’ mentor and investor relationships across 13 locations.
This collaboration between Barclays Africa and Techstars offers a game-changing opportunity to 10 qualifying fintech startups, which will take part in a 13-week programme beginning in May next year, based out of the Rise fintech innovation hub in Woodstock, Cape Town.
- Up to $120,000 investment from Techstars (depending on location), as well as other corporate perks.
- Techstars invests in each company and retains 6% equity as common stock, as it does with all of its programmes.
- Introductions and guidance from key decision makers at Barclays, who are looking for innovative solutions
- Mentoring from leading entrepreneurs and FinTech industry experts
- Access to technical expertise in a dynamic and collaborative community working space with cutting-edge resources
- The opportunity to pitch your business to the influential tech community
- Lifetime membership of the prestigious Techstars alumni community
- Selected startups will be given the opportunity to enter or expand their presence in the African marketplace via Barclays Africa Group’s customer, product, and technology teams.
- Leveraging the global footprint of Rise, the selected startups will also have the chance to scale globally through Rise sites in London, New York, Mumbai, Tel Aviv and Vilnius.
- The Accelerator offers companies an advantage over others by providing a proven curriculum, and lifelong access to the Techstars global network of mentors, investors and venture capitalists.
The Barclays Accelerator is looking for great founders with ideas that solve real problems or create meaningful innovations. For program, it’s about the team and because of this, they are less likely to accept single founder companies. The best things the applicant can do to strengthen their application are:
- Applicant should round out his/her team with business, technical, and other necessary skills.
- Applicant can make progress on his/her prototype or product and reference it in the application.
- Applicant has to show that he/she really thought about their business and have actually done something about it.
- Applicant’s team must be capable of designing their solution and be ready to launch by the end of the 13-week programme. We are looking for impressive teams with an ability to execute.
Anyone from anywhere can apply. If applicant is accepted, he/she’ll need to have a legal right to be in South Africa. Techstars may be able to provide working visas for successful companies for the duration of the programme.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit 2017 Barclays Techstars Accelerator.