The European Commission (EC) is offering grants under its Capacity Building in the Field of Higher Education Strand 3.
Projects under this Strand shall support efforts in third countries not associated to the Programme to develop coherent and sustainable systems of higher education to meet their socio-economic needs and broad ambition to create a knowledge-driven economy. Mainstreaming and upscaling of successful results as well as synergies with ongoing or pipeline support in the area under bilateral support programmes are also elements of this Strand. Structural Reform projects will address the needs of eligible third countries not associated to the Programme to support sustainable systemic and structural improvement and innovation at the level of the higher education sector.
By involving the competent National Authorities (notably Ministries of Education) of third countries not associated to the Programme, HEIs, Research institutions and other relevant authorities/bodies and stakeholders, these projects will particularly:
- Promote cooperation and mutual learning among and between public authorities at the highest institutional level of the EU Member states or third countries associated to the Programme and the eligible third countries not associated to the Programme to foster systemic improvement and innovation in the higher education sector.
- Promote inclusive higher education systems that can provide the right conditions for students of different backgrounds to access learning and succeed. Particular attention should therefore be paid to people with fewer opportunities.
- Increase the capacities of HEIs of third countries not associated to the Programme, bodies in charge of higher education and competent authorities (notably Ministries) through their participation in the definition, implementation and monitoring of reform processes to modernise their higher education systems, particularly in terms of governance and financing.
- Identify synergies with ongoing EU initiatives in the third country(ies) not associated to the Programme in areas covered by Erasmus+.
The expected goal of this project is to:
- support the development of a high-performing digital education ecosystem of Ukrainian universities, thus guaranteeing the continuation of their activities, as well as their performance during and after the conflict;
- support the digitalisation of teaching and learning methods and the provision of infrastructure required for online and inclusive learning, also in line with the general goals of the Digital Education Action Plan 2021-2027.
- Strengthening the education digital environment for Ukraine: up to EUR 5,000,000. Other Structural Reform projects: Between EUR 600,000 and EUR 1,000,000 per project.
- Projects should normally last 36 or 48 months (extensions are possible, if duly justified and through an amendment).
Proposals must be submitted by a consortium (coordinator and partners), which complies with the following conditions:
- Geographical coverage:
- at least 2 EU Member States or third countries associated to the Programme;
- at least 1 eligible third country not associated to the Programme.
- Institutional coverage:
- at least 1 HEI from each participating EU Member State or third country associated to the Programme;
- at least 2 HEIs from each participating third country not associated to the Programme;
- national competent authority (e.g. Ministry) responsible for higher education in each of the eligible third countries not associated to the Programme.
For more information, visit European Commission.