Deadline: 30 June 2017
The Roberto Cimetta Fund and the Valletta 2018 Foundation together invite applications for 2018 Mobility Funding in order to implement Valletta’s title of European Capital of Culture 2018 have been collaborating since 2015 to improve and increase mobility of artists in the Euro-Mediterranean region.
Both the Roberto Cimetta Fund and Valletta 2018 see freedom of mobility as essential to the development of the arts and strongly support the right of the artist to travel freely. In the context of Valletta’s title of European Capital of Culture 2018, where Valletta is physically and culturally a crossroads and meeting point in the centre of the Mediterranean, this fund aims to aid mobility, communication, collaboration and exchange between diverse cultures and to contribute to local, community participation in the arts in the broader context of the Euro-Arab geographical zone.
The following general criteria apply to the fund:
- The aim of the travel must show potential for a constructive and long-term impact on the arts sector in a concrete, localised context in the Euro-Arab geographical region;
- This means that travel must contribute to the applicant’s professional development, which in turn can be shared in a “networking” fashion that will benefit connecting artists and operators in the applicant’s own country or region so as to maintain, renew and develop contemporary arts practise;
- Travel can take place as soon as the call opens but in this case the applicant runs the risk of paying for travel without guarantee of the success of the application;
- No nationality or age criteria apply to the fund; however the applicant must live or work in the Euro-Arab geographical region;
- The applicant’s profession must be one of the following; administrator in the cultural field, artist, creator, cultural organiser, performer, project leader in the cultural field, or teacher;
- The call aims to give financial support to applicants who do not have the financial resources to engage in the mobility being funded;
- Applications must be made by individuals rather than organisations. Only three members of a group can apply for a grant concerning the same project;
- The fund will only be granted to any one individual three times in total;
- Applicants must choose the cheapest form of transport and can only apply for one international return travel ticket and visa costs per application;
- Local transport, per diems and accommodation costs are not covered by the fund.
The following specific criteria apply to the fund:
- The application for mobility must directly address one of the four themes of Valletta 2018’s European Capital of Culture Cultural Programme, these being Island stories, future baroque and voyages as described below.
- Applicants must be either
- living or working in Malta, and developing projects specific to the Euro-Arab Region;
- living or working in Europe and/or the Mediterranean Region, and wishing to travel to Malta to make an artistic intervention in the wider Euro-Arab context;
- living or working in Europe and/or the Arab Region, and wishing to travel within the Euro-Arab Region for collaborative work specific to Malta’s context in that region (for example, travelling to a third country to collaborate on a project that has a tangible link with Malta, or with a Maltese artist).
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online via given website.
- Europe: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom (UK), Vatican City (Holy See).
- Arab Countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.
For more information, please visit 2018 Mobility Funding.