Are you an academic scientist working on a bio x climate solution? Apply for a Fifty Years Manifest Climate grant!
The Fifty Years is looking to fund projects with the potential to accelerate the ability to solve the climate crisis by leveraging the power of biology. They are placing an emphasis on funding high-risk, high-reward proposals that might not otherwise get funded.
Right now, researchers are developing innovative solutions to tackle the climate crisis. But few make it out of the lab. Often, after the basic science is done, there’s just a little more work – prototyping, techno economic-modeling, real-world testing – to show the science has commercial potential. But almost no one funds this work! They cannot afford potential solutions to sit idle in labs. That’s why they created Manifest Climate – to bring breakthrough climate science from the lab to the benefit of all. They’ll take the learnings and hope to increase the scale of this funding in future rounds.
- They provide anywhere from $25K to $100K. They prefer cost-effective projects with appropriately priced budgets.
- You must be a scientist (Master’s student, PhD student, Postdoc, PI, Professor):
- Part of an academic or non-profit research organization
- You’ve got a translational research idea that uses biology to help solve the climate crisis
- Researchers outside the US are eligible for funding.
- Researchers from other fields are encouraged to propose projects where their expertise could address climate change.
- The following conditions apply:
- Use of resources: You must use the grant to work on the research idea you outlined in the application.
- Reporting: For larger grants $50-100K, they encourage you to send them quarterly updates, summarizing your progress (up to 1 year). These can be as simple as a single-paragraph email.
- Pre-prints: They encourage you to upload all manuscripts reporting work supported by the grant to a preprint server such as bioRxiv or arXiv upon submission to a peer-reviewed journal. They don’t want to delay the impact of the work by long publication cycles!
- Overhead: Manifest Climate will pay at most 10% in overhead costs to the university. This will be in addition to the budget requested for the specific research. So for instance, if you requested $100K for the research proposal, they can provide a maximum of $10K in addition to overhead costs.
For more information, visit Fifty Years.