Deadline: 20 August 2019
The Arab Council for the Social Sciences (ACSS) is seeking applications for the third round of its Small Grants Program (SGP) on the themes of “Youth” and “Urban Spatial Inequalities” that aims to support scholars and professionals in the Arab region.
This competition is funded by grants provided to ACSS by the Ford Foundation, and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
The dual themes of the program are intended to be broad enough to encourage applications from a wide range of applicants who are working on these issues. The SGP targets professionals, activists and researchers whose work builds on social science perspectives and methods to achieve change. The proposed activity or research could focus on one or more Arab countries and can use qualitative or quantitative methods. The duration of grants offered under this program is a maximum of 6 months.
The program funds five kinds of activities:
- Travel grants (conferences/workshops)
- Internship support
- Organizing workshops
- Pilot studies
- Dissemination events
Small grants of $4,000 on average will be available to individual Arab researchers and activists residing in the Arab region, and whose work focuses on Arab societies.
- Applicants must be citizens of an Arab League member state or nationals of an Arab country (defined as long-term residents, even if they do not hold citizenship as in the case of refugees or stateless residents).
- Applicants must reside in the Arab region. This program does not fund applicants who reside, work, or study outside the region.
- Priority will be given to scholars and professionals who are marginalized, at risk, or dispossessed.
- Educational Degree: Applicants must hold at least a Master’s degree in a core social science or a field allied to the themes of the Program. The core social science fields are anthropology, demography, economics, education, political science, psychology and sociology. Allied disciplines include architecture, cultural studies, development studies, gender studies, geography, law, and urban planning/studies.
- Age: Preference will be given to applicants under the age of 40.
- ACSS grantees (principal and co-investigators) that have benefited previously from another ACSS grant are only eligible if their grants were closed one year prior to submitting their application for the Small Grants Program.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply online via the given website.
For more information, please visit http://www.theacss.org/pages/sgp