Applications are now open for the Arab Fund for Arts and Culture (AFAC’s) Documentary Program to support creative documentary films in the Arab region.
The program welcomes submissions of short and medium-length documentary in production and post-production, and feature documentary film projects that are in development, production or post-production phases.
- The program provides annual grants up to USD 10,000 for development grants, up to USD 50,000 for production grants for feature-length films and USD 20,000 for short and medium-length documentaries, and up to USD 25,000 for post-production grants for feature-length films and USD 10,000 for short and medium-length documentaries.
- AFAC does not offer mobility grants. Travel costs can be covered by the AFAC grant only when they are part of the implementation of a project.
Place and Duration
- AFAC will not provide support retroactively, i.e. to projects already completed. For projects that have already started, AFAC will cover the expenses that will occur only after the signature of the contract if the project is selected.
- Projects may be implemented anywhere as long as they are created by Arab filmmakers.
- The project’s time frame should not exceed 24 months.
- AFAC is open to receive project applications from Arab directors and producers living in the Arab region or in the diaspora. A non-Arab producer can apply for a grant provided that the film director is Arab. It is highly recommended that film projects applying to the production and post-production grants have producers attached to them. Project applications are accepted irrespective of age, years of experience, country of residence, ethnicity, gender or religion.
- A film producer is eligible to apply with a maximum of two projects per category per cycle provided the two projects are not attached to the same director. However, if a film producer has one open grant, s/he can apply with one project. If s/he has two open grants, s/he is not eligible to apply before closing one grant at least.
AFAC will not consider applications submitted by:
- Members of the Board of Trustees, their business partners or family members.
- AFAC staff members, their business partners or family members.
- Members of the current year’s readers and jurors’ committees.
- Recipients of two consecutive grants unless two years had passed since the last grant.
- A director who already has an open grant from AFAC.
- Each director is entitled to only one application in the same category.
- If a director has an application that is in process, s/he cannot submit another application in any category until the result of the current application in process is announced.
- If a grantee had received two grants one for development and one for production to the same film project, she/he cannot apply for post-production.
For more information, visit AFAC.