Deadline: 1 July 2017
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is seeking applications for its International Fund to support groups led by LGBTQI communities working for progressive social change, addressing oppression based on sexual orientation and/or gender identity and expression, and advancing work for racial, economic and gender justice.
The fund prioritizes funding to groups that are:
- Led by and targeted to lesbian/bisexual/queer women
- Led by and targeted to transgender and/or intersex people
- Led by and for LGBTQI communities that are historically marginalized and under-resourced within LGBTQI communities (e.g. youth, elders, ethnic minorities, migrants/refugees, low-income people, people with disabilities, sex workers, etc.).
- Have active participation and leadership from the communities most affected by issues that the group works on.
- Are inclusive and reflect the diversity of the geographic region in which they do their work.
- Show an understanding of the connections amongst different oppressions facing LGBTQI people, and have a commitment to address other forms of oppression such as oppression based on class, race, ethnicity, age, physical and mental ability, gender, national identity, and religious affiliation.
- Develop leadership and build communities’ capacity to achieve social change, particularly through proposals that strengthen an organization’s ability to organize. Organizing may be defined as activities that actively engage people affected by societal problems in the process of identifying and pursuing solutions.
- Works in alliance and/or builds coalition with other justice movement organizations (e.g. sex worker rights, human rights, etc.)
- Have organizational structures and practices in place that reflect social justice principles
- Groups that are based in countries/locations that do not yet have significant LGBTQI resources
- Have limited access to traditional sources of funding.
Groups should be:
- Based in Africa, Asia/the Pacific, Eastern Europe/Commonwealth of Independent States, Latin America/the Caribbean, or the Middle East.
- Led by and/or for LGBTQI communities. Non-LGBTI-led groups must demonstrate how they address LGBTI human rights issues and how they involve LGBTI’s in organizational and programmatic decision-making.
- Doing work towards long-term social change, on issues affecting LGBTQI people and/or people who are penalized, persecuted or harassed for their gender identity, gender expression, and/or sexual orientation.
- Non-governmental organizations, not-for-profit groups, or the equivalent, with organizational budgets of $500,000USD or less.
- Groups that have been active for at least one year at the time applicants send in their proposal. A group which has been active for less than one year may apply if applicants demonstrate their group’s ability to sustain activities over the long-term and illustrate how a grant would help applicants to build their organization’s capabilities.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can download and submit an LOI via given website.
- Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d’Ivorie, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Asia: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
- The Pacific: American Samoa, Australia, Bougainville, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis & Futuna Islands
- Eastern Europe: Russia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Romania, Moldova, Croatia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Belarus, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Kosovo and Macedonia.
- Commonwealth of Independent States: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan
- Latin America: Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Falkland Islands, French Guiana, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
- The Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas The, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands
- Middle East: Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen
For more information, please visit Astraea’s International Fund.