Deadline: 1 May 2020
The Botswana Innovation Fund (BIF) is looking to fund the development of innovative solutions that address the COVID-19 pandemic challenges from eligible applicants. It is also envisaged that private sector entities will have an opportunity to invest or participate in the implementation of the chosen solutions.
The call places emphasis on innovative digital solutions and working product prototypes that are ready to scale and to curb the some of the socio-economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Further to this they anticipate intellectual property development and registration, technology transfer, and commercialisation of developed solutions.
WINDOW 1: Virtual Hack
This call provides emerging digital innovators an opportunity to rapidly produce solutions that can be adopted by the market. The solutions will be informed by current epidemiological and socio-economic challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic with special emphasis on the local economy. It is expected that the development of these solutions will involve individuals or collaborative teams with the requisite skills. The primary goal being the rapid prototyping of solutions with impact on society. The expected timelines to get the solutions to market are 2 (two) to four (4) weeks.
The solutions targeted are at Technology Readiness Levels (TRL) 3 to 8 (TRL 3 to TRL 8), proof of concept to commercial system.
The development of any solution needs to consider that it will be hosted locally in data servers and tested accordingly. As such it is expected that the proposed solutions;
- May include mobile and web-based solutions e.g. food value chain e-commerce solutions.
- Will be data enabled with the ability to analyse and publish information.
- Will adhere to the necessary standards as approved by the relevant bodies including medical.
- bodies, as appropriate.
- May be able to provide near real time updates on the pandemic and related socio-economic impacts.
WINDOW 2: Working Prototypes/Solutions
There are a number of market ready solutions relevant to the COVID-19 pandemic which can be deployed but lack the necessary validation and tweaks to deliver them to market. In recognition of this, Window 2 seeks to provide innovators the support needed to capitalise on the opportunities presented by the COVID-19 challenges with the aim of getting their solutions to market during this time when the market recognises the usefulness of technological solutions. The expected time of solution to market is 2 (two) to four (4) weeks. These solutions are at Technology Readiness Levels (TRL) 5 to 8 (TRL 5 to TRL 8), prototype system to commercial system.
These may include working protypes of products, processes, value added services, community social interventions, tools and gadgets that may be of high demand during and post the COVID-19 pandemic. It is expected that the solutions will include, but are not limited to, those addressing challenges in:
- Health Systems (Public Health Surveillance, contact tracing, Model test-kits and accreditation and management)
- Public Service Delivery (Digital education, public service delivery systems)
- Transport (Payments, monitoring, & tracking)
- Logistics & Value Chains (Food, Fresh Produce, Medical supplies)
The third call for proposals is open to individuals, groups and to all Botswana registered companies with innovative projects nationwide (including BIH non-members). The call is targeting Entrepreneurs, Applications Developers, Indigenous Knowledge Holders, Social Enterprises, Private Sector Companies and Non-governmental Organisations.
Submitted proposals will be ranked according to the following criteria:
- Clear articulation of proposed solution and approach
- Market Need
- Value Proposition (a clear path towards operationalising the product on-the-ground)
- Team Composition and Roles
- Customer Validation
- Clear Revenue Streams
- Alignment with Key Govt Objectives/National Needs i.e. COVID-19 pandemic
- Social Impact, (evidence that the solution addresses a specific problem/challenge or need)
Submissions in response to this call for proposals will be made through the provided portal and must include the following sections in the order listed:
- Expression of interest letter
- Technical proposal containing the following content:
- Concept note of the innovative solution(s);
- Technical specifications;
- Team experience;
- Work Plan / Schedule for an implementation;
- Mission team experience/profiles;
- Implementation plan with budget and timeline.
- Working prototype (pictures, narrative, video)
- Any other relevant documentation as an additional value proposition.
For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/BotswanaGovernment/posts/2918420841573888