The Land Innovation Fund (LIF) invites your organization to submit a proposal for the implementation of projects that present innovative solutions for a sustainable and deforestation- and conversion-free (DCF) soy supply chain in South America’s Cerrado, Gran Chaco, and Amazon biomes.
Thematic Areas and Metrics
- Protection of areas under risk of deforestation, forest degradation, and/or conversion of native vegetation
- Hectares protected.
- Cost to protect land on a per hectare basis.
- Restoration of degraded areas in landscapes impacted by deforestation, forest degradation, and/or conversion of native vegetation
- Innovations supported to increase success rate and/or cost-efficiency of restoring degraded areas.
- Hectares impacted.
- Cost to restore land on a per hectare basis.
- Sustainable production intensification and/or expansion to already degraded areas without deforestation or conversion of native vegetation2
- Hectares sustainably managed, with management practices explicitly identified.
- Changes in farm management variables: 1) yields and/or 2) use of: water for irrigation, fertilizer, pest control, and energy.
- Changes in the area of standing forest and native vegetation on the farm.
- Hectares of agro-silvo-pastoral systems that maintain and/or restore native vegetation.
- Carbon management that incentivizes the preservation of on-farm or farm adjacent carbon stocks
- Tons of carbon sequestered, measured, and monitored.
- Tons of sequestered carbon verified, accredited, and sold.
- Cost to measure and monitor sequestered carbon.
- Cost to verify, accredit, market, and sell verified carbon credits.
- Protocols and certification that incentivize deforestation/conversion-free and/or low carbon practices
- Hectares under new protocols or certification schemes.
- Production volumes under new protocols or certification schemes
- Number of farmers adopting new protocols or certification schemes.
- Public policies related to deforestation/conversion free commitments (this can be entirely new policies or new approaches to monitoring and evaluation of existing policies)
- Number of policies and regulations proposed.
- Number of jurisdictions where the proposed solution will be applied.
- Monitoring and compliance of deforestation/conversion free policies and regulations
- Hectares mapped, monitored and/or verified as being in compliance with deforestation/conversion-free policies and regulations.
- Number of producers or farms mapped, monitored and/or verified as being in compliance with deforestation/conversion-free policies and regulations.
- Land use law compliance (e.g., Brazilian Forest Code or CAR regularizations, Argentine Forest Law).
- Producer and Community Engagement
- Number of soy farmers directly engaged.
- Number of individuals in rural communities adjacent to soy farmers directly engaged in project activities.
- Number and size of producer associations engaged
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Participation
- Number of leadership positions participating in the implementation of the project disaggregated by sex, race, ethnicity, and economic status (as available).
- Applicants may submit project budgets valued between USD $500,000- $2,000,000
- Project budgets between USD $500,000-$1,000,000 must present additional financial contributions (in-kind or monetary) from the Applicant and/or a third-party of at least 20% of the total project budget; proposal budgets over USD $1,000,000 must present additional financial contributions (in-kind or monetary) from the Applicant and/or a third-party of at least 30% of the total project budget.
- Organizations must be registered, formally constituted, recognized by and in good standing with the appropriate authorities, and compliant with all applicable local civil and fiscal regulations.
- The types of organizations that may apply for financing include:
For more information, visit https://www.landinnovation.fund/en/open-call