Deadline: 12 January 2020
The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), in collaboration with the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh, is organizing a four-day workshop in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, focused on blogging, citizen journalism, and fact-based reporting.
From April 27 to May 1, 2020, 60 members of the Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI) will gain a practical understanding of citizen journalism, as well as the skills and resources needed to produce quality evidence-based reporting.
At the end of the workshop, participants will have the opportunity to practice their newfound citizen journalism skills in Siem Reap to produce compelling, fact-driven reports.
After completion of the workshop, participants will belong to a regional network of citizen journalists. This is a great opportunity for journalists who want to work collaboratively to report on common problems across the region. Journalists who wish to gain blogging, citizen journalism, and fact-based reporting skills are strongly encouraged to apply.
The workshop will include a mix of informational and seminar sessions to cover key topic areas and facilitate discussions among participants and trainers. These sessions will cover topics such as:
- Understanding citizen journalism and the free flow of information;
- Ethical and newsworthy reporting;
- Raising public awareness about citizen journalism;
- Resources for citizen journalists.
- English-language proficiency;
- Live in an ASEAN member country (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Vietnam) or Timor-Leste;
- Be registered as a YSEALI member. Application to become a YSEALI member can be found on the website.
- Between the ages of 25 and 35 at the time of the workshop;
- Have knowledge, experience, or pursuing careers in journalism fields, communications, citizen journalism, blogging;
- All travel, lodging, and program activity costs are fully funded by the U.S. Department of State.
Eligible Countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Vietnam) or Timor-Leste.
For more information, visit https://www.icfj.org/our-work/citizen-journalism-workshop-yseali-members-0