The Arab Fund for Arts and Culture (AFAC) is inviting applications for its Creative and Critical Writings Grant Program.
The Creative and Critical Writings grant provides support to critical writings on the arts and culture, theatrical writings, children and youth literature (including both the adaptation of classical Arabic and international literature as well as original stories), graphic novel, short story, poetry, in addition to online publishing platform. The final product should be in Arabic language.
Launched in 2018, Creative and Critical Writings is a new grants program that builds on AFAC previous support for literature through the Literature Grant (2007-2013) and the AFAC Novel Writing Program (2014-2016), but which expands into areas that are in need of support.
- The program provides annual grants ranging from a few thousand U.S. dollars up to a maximum of 20,000 U.S. dollars for individuals and teams and 35,000 U.S dollars for institutions and collectives.
- AFAC does not offer mobility grants. Travel costs can be covered by the AFAC grant only when they are part of the implementation of a project.
Place and Duration
- AFAC will not provide support retroactively, i.e. to projects already completed. For projects that have already started, AFAC will cover the expenses that will occur only after the signature of the contract if the project is selected.
- Projects may be implemented anywhere as long as they are created by Arab writers or – as in the case of non-Arab institutions – relevant to the Arab region.
- The project’s time frame should not exceed 24 months.
- AFAC is open to receive project applications from all Arab individuals working in the fields specified. Project applications are accepted irrespective of age, years of experience, country of residence, ethnicity, gender or religion.
- Applications in this category can be also submitted by relevant Arab or non-Arab institutions (publishing houses, online literary platforms) as long as the final product is in Arabic.
AFAC will not consider applications submitted by:
- Members of the Board of Trustees, their business partners or family members.
- AFAC staff members, their business partners or family members.
- Members of the current year’s readers and jurors’ committees.
- Recipients of two consecutive grants unless two years had passed since the last grant.
- Applicants who have a current open grant.
- Each applicant (individual or institution) is entitled to only one application per grant cycle.
- If an applicant has an application that is in process, s/he cannot submit another application in any category until the result of the current application in process is announced.
For more information, visit AFAC.