Deadline: 11 July 2016
The Digital News Initiative (DNI) Innovation Fund is inviting applications for its next round, offering funding to projects pursuing innovative approaches to journalism, aiming at supporting and stimulating innovation in digital news journalism over the next three years.
The Digital News Initiative (DNI) is a partnership between Google and news publishers in Europe to support high quality journalism through technology and innovation.
Google will make available up to EUR 150m for eligible projects.
- The DNI Innovation Fund is open to for-profit organisations, non-profit organisations and individuals that aim to produce original journalism and to enlighten citizens with trustworthy journalistic content, whose projects focus on encouraging a more sustainable news ecosystem.
- Established publishers, online-only players, news startups, publisher consortia, national or international associations, companies and individuals are all eligible to apply.
- Incorporated organisations must be incorporated in the EU or EFTA.
- Unincorporated organisations must be registered in the EU or EFTA (or, if unregistered, have their principal place of business there). Individuals must be EU or EFTA residents.
- Projects that demonstrate new thinking in the practice of digital journalism; that support the development of new business models, or maybe even change the way users consume digital news.
- Projects can be experimental, but must be measurable with well-defined goals. They should have a significant digital component (but there is no requirement to use any Google products).
- Successful projects will show innovation and have a positive impact on the production of original digital journalism and on the future sustainability of the news business.
- Projects that are limited to the creation or publication of content without a specific innovative component (for example, projects relating to news coverage only or projects merely translating news content into other languages);
- Upgrades of legacy publishing systems;
- Projects that relate to simply collating or listing data (for example, the publication of job listings or stock exchange data, or the re-publication of newswires articles).
How to Apply
All applications are to be submitted in English through an online process via given website.
Eligible Countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia , Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.
For more information, please visit DNI Innovative Fund.