Deadline: 6 June 2019
ENGIE Africa is currently seeking applications from innovators and startups who are developing new technologies and service-based solutions to improve reliable access to energy and clean water in urban Sub-Saharan Africa.
ENGIE Africa is a long-term partner for Africa’s growing energy needs. It has over 50 years of experience on the continent and employs 3,000 people of which 98% are Africans. ENGIE now has over 3,000 MW of energy capacity; it is a leader in energy services and provides clean off-grid electricity to more than 2 million people. Africa’s business context is particular and needs new models and technologies which are tailored to its specific needs.
In Sub-Saharan Africa, over 600 million people do not have access to electricity and 2/5 of the African population on average does not have access to a reliable supply of electricity even when connected to the grid. ENGIE Africa recognizes the enormous potential of off-grid solutions and aspires to give access to off-grid green electricity to 30 million people by 2025, but also to improve the access to reliable power to those connected to the grid. Concerning the access to clean water, it is estimated that 17% of the urban sub-Saharan population does not have access to a sanitary source of water.
Specifically for these reasons, ENGIE Africa is looking for solutions for access to electricity and clean water that align with any of the following goals:
- Providing affordable, fast-deployed and efficient access to energy/water as a service for families in urban areas in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Taking advantage of digital solutions through mobile economy, efficient payment platforms and powerful data platforms.
- High growth potential offering the opportunity to replicate the model elsewhere.
- Funding of a testing phase: the winner will be able to test the efficiency and viability of his solution in the relevant environment, within the Engie Africa business framework over a period of 12 months.
- Based on the results of the testing phase, the integration within the Engie Africa business portfolio and further co-development of the project.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Innovative nature of the solution
- Technology Readiness
- Maturity of project/solution: the solution must exist physically at the time of application. Projects at the concept stage will not be selected
- Coherence of the proposed business model
- Feasibility/ economic viability
- Ability to launch project quickly / Ease of implementation
How to Apply
Applicants can apply online via given website.
For more information, visit this link.