The Environment and Conservation Fund (ECF) is now inviting applications for its Environmental Education and Community Action Projects to promote individual behavioural and lifestyle changes to achieve sustainable development, and develop or introduce innovative technologies and practices to improve the environment and conserve resources.
The Environment and Conservation Fund (ECF) was set up by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to provide funding support for educational, research and other projects and activities in relation to environmental and conservation matters.
Nature of EE&CA Projects
- EE&CA Projects are educational programmes or acEnvironmental Education and Community Action Projects in Hong Kongtivities to enhance community awareness and knowledge of environmental issues; and/or environmental projects that mobilise individuals to take direct and positive action to improve and conserve the environment and induce behavioural change towards a green lifestyle.
- All EE&CA Projects should target at enhancing the environmental awareness and knowledge of the participants, mobilising action and inducing behavioural changes to tackle environmental problems, with positive impact on the environment and measurable and tangible outcome against the objectives set for the projects. Projects should identify effective and innovative means, where possible, to achieve the objectives and should take into account the environmental impact of project implementation (such as waste generation and material consumption).
- Thematic programme areas will be specified and announced during the invitation for funding applications as appropriate. Priority will be given to fund those applications related to the prescribed thematic programme areas (“priority applications”), if any. Notwithstanding other applications that are normally consistent with the overall EE&CA Projects nature will be considered should there be unallocated funding after the priority applications are considered, as appropriate.
- There are funding caps for projects of different scales:
- For small scale projects, the funding cap is HK$50,000.
- For medium scale projects, the funding cap is HK$500,000.
- For large scale and special theme projects, there is no specific funding cap and the amount of funding support will be assessed and determined on the merits of individual funding applications.
- For special grant projects, the funding cap is HK$100,000.
- Local non-profit making organisations (e.g. community bodies, green groups, schools, etc.) are eligible to apply.
- “Special Grant Projects” accepts applications from eligible organisations which have not been granted funding support from the ECF under the EE&CA Projects funding scheme and/or other eligible organisations (e.g. schools) as specified in each round of applications invitation.
- For project proposals from schools (except government and profit-making schools) and welfare non-governmental organisations receiving recurrent subvention from the Social Welfare Department concerning provision of small scale solar energy generation systems at their premises, applicant organisations are encouraged to submit applications to the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department under its programme “Solar Harvest – Solar Energy Support Scheme for Schools and Welfare Non-Governmental Organisations”.
For more information, visit https://www.ecf.gov.hk/en/application/index.html#eeca