The Frameline is seeking applications for its Completion Fund that provides grants to emerging and established filmmakers.
The program seeks to provide a much-needed source of financial contributions to artists who often struggle to secure funding to complete their works.
For over a quarter century, Frameline has awarded $617,500 to 174 projects to help ensure that LGBTQ+ film/video projects are completed and viewed by wider audiences. Projects finished with assistance from the Frameline Completion Fund include Pariah, No Straight Lines: The Rise of Queer Comics, Lingua Franca, North by Current, The Watermelon Woman, Call Her Ganda, Chavela, Appropriate Behavior, To Be Takei, Last Call at Maud’s, The New Black, 1985, Brother to Brother, Kumu Hina, The Cockettes, Vito, Freeheld, They Were Here, and The Brandon Teena Story.
Submissions of any length are being accepted for documentary, narrative, experimental, animated or episodic projects about LGBTQ+ people and their communities. The Fund also seeks to bring new work to underserved audiences; with this in mind, they especially encourage applications by women, people of color, transgender people, intersex people, asexual people, non-binary people, disabled people, and other historically excluded people and communities.
- Grants up to $5,000 are available for the completion of films that represent and reflect LGBTQ+ life in all its complexity and richness.
- They welcome and encourage international applicants, however the proposal must be submitted in English.
- Grants are given ONLY for completion; therefore, projects must have 90% of production finished and be in the post-production phase or ready to begin post as soon as funding is in place.
- Projects in development, script-development, pre-production or production will NOT be considered.
- Grants will ONLY be given to projects about LGBTQ+ people and their communities.
- Grants are given to individuals with creative and financial control of the project. In the case of collaboration, a sole project director must be designated as the applicant.
- Grants will be given to projects in any film/video format, of any length, genre, or nationality.
- Student projects are eligible as long as the student maintains artistic and financial control of the project.
- International productions are accepted.
- Members of the staff and Board of Directors of Frameline are ineligible
For more information, visit https://www.frameline.org/community/filmmakers/completion-fund