Deadline: 15 September 2019
Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is seeking applications for its International Fund to support groups led by LGBTQI communities working for progressive social change, addressing oppression based on sexual orientation and/or gender identity and expression, and advancing work for racial, economic and gender justice.
Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice works for social, racial and economic justice in the U.S. and internationally. Their grant-making and philanthropic advocacy programs help lesbians; transgender people and allied communities challenge oppression and claim their human rights.
Astraea’s Grant-making Philosophy
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
Astraea’s grant-making is guided by their understanding of how social change and movements for justice develop. Astraea believes that:
- Social change results from the powerful collective action of groups of people working together.
- Organizations that are committed to addressing the intersections of various oppressions, and demonstrate commitment to social, racial, economic and gender justice, are most likely to help build transformative and liberationist movements for change.
- Art and cultural work are powerful mediums for resistance, cultural change and inspiration – all critical components of lasting justice movements.
- Communities that are most affected by various issues are best positioned to identify effective priorities and strategies for social change in their communities.
- Social justice funding institutions – like Astraea – seek to help redistribute wealth and power in society in order to help finance the sectors of movements that have the least access to mainstream funding resources.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- While Astraea’s International Fund grants range from $7,000 – $20,000, their average grant size is $10,000. Organizations can apply for general support or project support.
- This Potential grant period is January 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020.
Astraea prioritizes funding to groups that:
- Are led by and for lesbian/bisexual/queer women
- Are led by and for trans and/or intersex people
- Are led by and for LGBTQI communities that are historically marginalized and under-resourced within LGBTQI communities (e.g. youth, elders, ethnic minorities, migrants/refugees, low-income people, people with disabilities, sex workers, etc.)
- Have active participation and leadership from the communities most affected by issues that the group works on
- Are inclusive and reflect the diversity of the geographic region in which they do their work
- Show an understanding of the connections among different oppressions facing LGBTQI people, and have a commitment to address other forms of oppression based on class, race, ethnicity, age, physical and mental ability, gender, national identity, and religious affiliation
- Develop leadership and build communities’ capacity to achieve social change, particularly through proposals that strengthen an organization’s ability to organize. Organizing may be defined as activities that actively engage people affected by societal problems in the process of identifying and pursuing solutions.
- Works in alliance and/or builds coalition with other social justice organizations (e.g. sex worker rights, human rights, etc.)
- Have organizational structures and practices in place that reflect social justice principles
- Are based in countries/locations that do not yet have significant LGBTQI resources
- Have limited access to traditional sources of funding.
Astraea does not fund:
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- Organizations with no leadership of LGBTQI people
- Organizations with no involvement of lesbians or transgender people
- Private business or profit-making efforts (including business development)
- Organizations based in the Global North proposing projects with partners based in Astraea’s funding regions
- Organizations with strong leadership from only 1 individual
- Individual projects (e.g. graduate research, fellowships, etc.)
- Projects that are sponsored by a university, college, or other academic institution
- Groups whose sole purpose is to provide charity to individuals, direct social service projects, research projects, or one-time events that are not linked to ongoing social change organizing strategies
- Efforts that endorse candidates for public office (incl. political parties and election campaigns)
- Capital campaigns, endowments, or deficit financing
- Organizations with budgets of over $500,000 US.
How to Apply
Applicants can submit a Letter of Interest in English via given website.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
For more information, please visit http://www.astraeafoundation.org/apply/international-fund/