Deadline: 29 November 2016
United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women is currently seeking proposals for its program entitled “Global Acceleration Instrument (GAI) for Women, Peace & Security and Humanitarian Action” to achieve peaceful and gender equal societies.
The GAI is governed by a Funding Board at the global level, which is comprised of four UN entities (currently UN Women, UNDP, UNFPA and PBSO), four donor Member States (currently Australia, the UK, Ireland and Spain), as well as 4 Civil Society Organizations (currently Cordaid, GNWP, APWAPS and WANEP).
The GAI has three main functions:
- First, it breaks silos between humanitarian, peace, security, and development finance by investing in enhancing women’s engagement, leadership, and empowerment across all phases of crisis, peace and security, and development.
- Second, it addresses structural funding gaps for women’s participation in key phases of crisis, peace and security, and development by improving the timeliness, predictability and flexibility of international assistance. Notably, it will ensure a timely investment in conflict prevention after receipt of early warning signals from women, and will accelerate the dispersal of development assistance after successful peace negotiations.
- Third, it recognizes that peace cannot be created nor sustained without investment in both the government and civil society organizations.
- An enabling environment for the implementation of WPS commitment
- Women’s meaningful participation in conflict prevention
- Humanitarian/crisis response planning, frameworks and programming which is informed by gender analysis and needs assessments
- Conflict resolution
- Peacebuilding and recovery investments which benefit women
Project proposals should be for no less than 100,000 USD and no more than 200,000 USD.
- National and local civil society organizations are eligible to apply. Women’s grass-root/local/community based organizations are particularly encouraged to apply. Joint CSOs projects are allowed and encouraged. CSOs are strongly encouraged to partner with grass-root organizations.
- UN entities are eligible to apply, through supporting CSOs. Joint UN projects are encouraged.
- Governmental entities may also submit projects aiming to facilitate partnerships and cooperation for the implementation of CSOs led projects.
- Organizations may not submit more than one application.
- The Applicant Organizations must have legal status with the competent national authority.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted via email at the address given on the website.
Eligible Country: Jordan
For more information, please visit Global Acceleration Instrument.