Deadline: 24 May 2020
As a call to action, HERE Technologies in Partnership with IBM and many other global and local organisations, are organising the #HackForBetterDays, a fully online, 30-day virtual hackathon across Asia Pacific!
Join HERE Technologies’ 30-day virtual hackathon and use location and other disruptive technologies to build innovative solutions to respond to the current & future needs of society following the impact of COVID-19.
HERE wants enthusiastic and innovative individuals and teams to come together to use location and other disruptive technologies to build useful apps and solutions that can:
- Respond to the needs of the society related to the issues currently being experienced;
- Improve the affected functions of society (e.g. school closures, gatherings restrictions, shops closing, etc) during the recovery process;
- Support governments and agencies to better respond to large scale disruptive events such as COVID-19 pandemic.
The society needs and issues to address may include but not limited to protecting the vulnerable population, helping the health care system, issues related to education, future of work, mental health and well-being etc.
You can participate in the hack by joining the following challenges:
- Build an App:
- Build a web or mobile app to address current challenges
- Individuals or teams
- 2 rounds of judgement
- Build a Map:
- Help your community by building an informative interactive map
- Individuals ONLY
- 1 Round of judgement
Whether you are an innovator, designer, software developer, data scientist, educator, or if you simply have ideas to help your community, they encourage you to get involved in the hack. They believe every person can have a role in this crisis and there’s an opportunity to cooperate with others to improve the lives of many.
- Build an App
- First place – USD $5,000
- Second place – USD $3,500
- Third place – USD $2,000
- Regional winners – Merchandise Prize pack from HERE Technologies and other partners
- Partner Category prizes
- Build a Map
- First place – USD $1,000
- Second place – USD $500
- Third place – USD $500
- Fourth & fifth places – HERE T-shirt
- Partner Category prizes
- All developers, designers, domain experts, innovators, and entrepreneurs who are over the age of 18 or the age of majority in their jurisdiction, whichever is greater.
- The Hackathon is open to individuals who legally reside in APAC and are not prohibited from participating under the Disqualifying Criteria.
- Countries: Brunei Darussalam, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, China, Guam,Hong Kong-China, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Laos, Macau-China, Malaysia, Mongolia, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Paracel Islands, Philippines, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Spratly Islands, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vietnam, American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Federated States Of Micronesia), Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Pitcairn, Samoa, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis, Futuna, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal.
The Hackathon is not open to:
- employees of the Promoter or its affiliates, their immediate family members* and agents** or anyone professionally linked to this Hackathon;
- any individual or organization resident or domiciled in a place where local law would otherwise prohibit participating or offering or receiving a Prize in the Hackathon;
- any individual that is the subject of sanctions administered or enforced by any country or government or otherwise designated on any list of prohibited or restricted parties (including but not limited to the lists maintained by the United States of America, the European Union or its Member States, or other relevant countries or government authorities);
- any individual residing in a place that is the subject of country-wide or territory-wide sanctions (including Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Syria and any other country designated by the United States of America, the European Union or its Member States, or other relevant countries or government authorities); and
- any other individual whose participation in the Hackathon would create, in the sole discretion of the Promoter, a real or perceived conflict of interest or bias.
* “Immediate family members” include the individual’s spouse or domestic partner, children or stepchildren, parents or stepparents, and siblings or stepsiblings.
** “Agents” include individuals or organizations acting on behalf of, and at the direction of, another through a contractual or similar relationship.
- Anyone residing in the Asia-Pacific region is eligible to participate
- You should be registered for the hack to be able to participate
- Participants Must be at age of majority where they reside at the time of entry
- Teams for the app challenge can consist of 1-7 people, the map challenge is an individual effort.
- Each participant MUST NOT be a part of multiple teams
- If you’re part of a team that’s building an app, you can still participate in the ‘build a map’ competition
- Your submissions should address judging criteria for that challenge and through the announced submission channel.
- Apps MUST be new and built for this hack. If you wish to use your previous code, it should be open sourced and publicly available to all other participants.
- Code review for winning teams may be required following the submissions.
- To be eligible for partners’ category prizes, you should nominate your project for them during your submission.
- Use of location services other than those provided by HERE Technologies is not permitted.
Follow these steps to start making a difference:
- Step 1 – join the hack
- Register to join the hack to get access to the hack community across APAC.
- Step 2 – build your team
- Interact with the community around you to bring the right people onboard your team to build your app.
- Step 3 – Start building solutions
- Start developing your solution
For more information, visit https://developer.here.com/hackforbetterdays