Deadline: 15 December 2019
U.S. Embassy in Benin is seeking applications for its Humanitarian Assistance Program (HA), which is designed to offer friendly nations and allies of the United States support, basic humanitarian aid, and services to their populations in need.
Through this program, the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) seeks to help avert humanitarian crises, promote democratic development and regional stability, build local capacity, and enable countries to begin to recover from conflicts.
HA projects are managed by the DOD, and awards may be granted to governmental agencies, as well as non-governmental organizations and community groups to support DOD’s program objectives.
Projects eligible for the HA program fall into three major categories including, but not limited to:
- Education: construction/expansion of schools/orphanages, and provision of furniture and supplies
- Health: construction/expansion of health clinics, provision of disease surveillance systems, education, prevention and training, medical support/supplies
- Basic Infrastructure: water wells/boreholes, water sanitation, waste treatment, solid waste management systems
Projects should not exceed $500,000.
Documentation required depends upon the project type but the following information is routinely requested and should be submitted with applicant’s packet in order to be more competitive.
- Projects must benefit the Beninese civilian population.
- Activities that may be socially and politically controversial will be avoided.
- Projects should have a significant impact, benefiting the greatest number of people possible.
- Projects must be viable and sustainable in terms of finance, personnel support (i.e. teachers for schoolrooms; staff for health clinic) and necessary expertise and services.
- Projects must respect environmental norms and ensure that the proposed activity will not adversely affect protected or other sensitive environmental areas nor jeopardize threatened or endangered species and their habitat.
- HA construction must fall within the ability of the local community to maintain.
- All projects (e.g. construction of buildings, latrines, and wells, and donated equipment) become the property of the state.
How to Apply
Applicants must download the Statement of Interest form via given website.
For more information, please visit http://bit.ly/2JC80pn