The ISLAA Research Grant is an opportunity for MA and PhD students enrolled in graduate university programs in the US and abroad to conduct novel investigations into themes, geographies, and chronologies of modern and contemporary art and visual culture from Latin America, the Caribbean, and the diaspora.
The ISLAA Research Grant aims to expand access to research funding by supporting the incredible talent of emerging scholars. Research may be conducted anywhere in the world and must be directed toward MA or PhD dissertations, peer-reviewed journal articles, and conference presentations. Research activities may include consulting resources at libraries, museums, and archives; interviewing artists, curators, and scholars; and arranging studio visits.
The Institute for Studies on Latin American Art (ISLAA) advances scholarship and public engagement with art from Latin America through its program of exhibitions, publications, lectures, and partnerships with universities and art institutions.
- The Research Grant will award three grantees up to 2,500 USD. Grantees will be chosen by a selection committee of scholars and arts professionals.
- Application materials include but are not limited to the following documents. Please start an application in order to review all submission requirements:
- Research proposal (1,000–1,500 word limit)
- Calendar and Itinerary (one page, PDF file only)
- Budget (one page, PDF file only)
- The selected grantees must provide the following outputs:
- 500-word exit report with 4–8 images (image rights cleared by grantee, citations submitted in Chicago Manual of Style, grantee allows ISLAA to share exit report on website and social media)
- 10–15 minute recorded presentation that explains how the grant has contributed to research project’s development
- Commitment to acknowledging ISLAA when research project (MA or PhD dissertation, academic journal article, and/or professional conference presentation) is finalized.
- The selected grantees may allocate the funds to support incurred costs related to transportation, lodging, meals, and research fees and expenses of the Grantee only (not of family, companions, etc.). Funds may not be used for the purchase of publications, computers, or other equipment.
- Grant funds will be disbursed in a single installment one month after the announcement of the grant. Research must develop during the twelve months following the Research Grants announcement and receipt of the grant. Research Grants’ outputs must be submitted within three months of completion of proposed research period.
For more information, visit ISLAA.